NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Digital Caliper video

February 18, 2010
by mcai8sh4

Mike and Humberto - once again you have excelled yourselves with this new tutorial.

I do a lot of work on lathes (both center and CNC) and milling machines. So I was really excited to see your new tutorial. With the added bonus, I have a small hobby lathe that I (eventually) wanted to add a DRO onto, with this new information, I may be able to speed up this project!

As a side note, when you are milling, generally you would touch on the top of the work piece, set the readout to zero, then down is -ve and up is +ve (you video shows the opposite).

Truly great work - I'm going to have to dig out a few of my old calipers and see if I can sort out the x and y axis.

Thanks again.

February 19, 2010
by JKITSON

Mike and Humberto.....

Wow fantastic idea and starter for me. I own two Smithy setups. One I use as a lathe only. The second one is setup as a mill.. I have a third one as spare parts. Will be watching for more ideas and will experiment on my own here...

Thanks again.. Jim

February 23, 2010
by mrobbins
(NerdKits Staff)

Thanks guys -- we'll be working on the X and Y axes soon on this end. Those have some more mechanical complexity (and we've got to make some holes in our machine), but also have quite a bit more complexity in the code. Right now, since we're only reading from one axis, we can just use delays and busy loops just waiting for a clock line to change. But when we have three axes (or more -- compound, tailstock??), each individual caliper can broadcast its data at any time, so we'll have to use interrupts and make things much more interesting!

Mike

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that NerdKits has been featured on Slashdot, Hack A Day, Hacked Gadgets, the MAKE blog, and other DIY-oriented websites? Learn more...