NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » Can't upload to m328p

February 05, 2010
by sask55

I can not upload to my m328p micro. I had no trouble with my original M168p everything worked as expected. I have installed the M328p as discribed and followed all of the instructions in the Upgrade Nano-guide. I get the congratulation your Nerdkit hardware is ok ... message on the lcd display. When I ran the make file in the updated initiaload directory I dont seem to get any file upload to the chip. I looked in the initialload directory there is now a .hex and .o file rebuilt there. In the libnerdkit directory there are now rebuilds of the .o files that I had deleted. I have checked the com port in the window system device manager (vista) and it matches the com4 used in the AVRDUEFLAGS line in the make file (initialload). The message in the windows dos council is

Connecting to programmer:
Found programmer: Id = “Huh? Go”; type = ‘ Software Version = t. ; Hardware Version = ‘ .S Avrdude: error buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn’t A butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device? Make; ***[initialload-upload] error 1

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your time

February 05, 2010
by mrobbins
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi sask55,

The "Huh? Go" indicates that the program is running, and that it's not in programming mode. You have to flip the switch "up" so that MCU pin 14 is connected to ground, and then cycle power. See this forum post for more details! Let me know if that fixes things.

Mike

February 05, 2010
by sask55

Thanks for the info.

The switch was in the up (correct) possition. I have now checked it with a vom meter is seams ok. I have placed a wire from pin 14 to ground. I then disconcected and reconnected the power and tryed to upload twice I stll get the same results. I dont know what else may be wrong.

Darryl

February 06, 2010
by sask55

My LCD has stopped working correctly. I am now getting only a portion of the screen. The upper left quarter of the screen has stopped working, that is the left side (half) of the top two lines are always blank. I think I may have stumbled upon what is going on with my nerd kit. Could it be possible that I have damaged or destroyed some of internal circuits in the lcd driver decoder and the micro do to static discharge? I hope not my USB on the computer. I have just recently noticed that I often get a static discharge (small spark) at my finger tip when I touch an object around the room. It is quite possible perhaps, even likely, that I have inadvertently passed a small high voltage charge thru one or both of my micros and likely the LCD display as well. I am now taking steps to insure that I am grounded before making contact with the nerd kit or the components. I am looking into ordering a grounding wrist strap to help eliminate the possibility of static build up. I have ordered a new lcd screen and replacement micro from the Nerd kit store I don’t know if my suspicions are correct but it may be worth mentioning that static build up could be a serous threat to member’s nerd kit components. Perhaps more emphases could be made in the nerd guild to reminded member to take steps to reduce the possibility of damaging their kits.

Is it possible that I am correct about the problems I am having?

Darryl

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that NerdKits make a great gift? Learn more...