NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Someday I WILL build this...someday..

February 01, 2010
by Phrank916

3d RGB POV Globe
Well, one can dream, right?!?

February 09, 2010
by BobaMosfet

This is simple to build. It's nothing more than a bunch of LEDs being spun around and turned on & off at the appropriate times. You could do this easily with the projects you've already been shown here on nerdkits. Servo Motor, LED, and realtime clock.

So, what are you waiting for?

BM

February 09, 2010
by Solorbob

I'm right there with you Phrank916. I want to build one of these globes too. I have to finish my binary watch and the LED array, but that might be my next project, after these two of course.

Shawn

February 09, 2010
by Phrank916

Yeah, the extent to which that guy went is amazing. On the latest version he uses like 12 PIC chips and something like 6GB of storage for animations...all of those leds are RGB 0201 size SMDs, which is TEENSY, and the dude hand-soldered a couple thousand of them along the edge. I am sure it cost a pretty penny to build also.

I am personally thinking of doing something like a round tube with maybe like a line of red, a line of blue, and a line of green LEDs, and spin them and see if I can make them converge and display a picture of sorts. I am also fascinated to find out what would happen if you ran the code that does 64 duty cycles to give the effect of dimming and brightening, and then spun the LEDs, what would happen? Would it work as well once it's spinning. I don't think so at all, but it'll be fun to experiment. I also want to play with a hall effect sensor for timing, etc..

February 18, 2010
by Solorbob

I got my first POV to work. I can't see it in real life, but the camera picks it up okay.

First POV

Almost done with the watch so I can move on to something else... Like a POV globe.

Shawn

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that using an alternating excitation voltage can reduce the noise in many sensor measurements? Learn more...