NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » Usb Nk003 and Kubuntu

January 29, 2010
by Farmerjoecoledge

Supprize! I'm back with Kubuntu. It's only been 6mo's or so ago but, isn't there supposed to be a device window popup, (like with windows :) when you first plug it in? The array will power on but that's all, if no popup i'm lost. Seems to me I installed the drivers from the disk last time.

fjc

January 29, 2010
by Farmerjoecoledge

Surprise! I can spell. No need to do anything with the driver, their already installed. So any tricks to get it to display? Everything starts but the array, the toolchain has started but nothing is going across. Also my usbasp isp isn't recognized either, it's listed but that's all.

January 29, 2010
by Farmerjoecoledge

I'm being premature, the nk is humming along now. I still need to know what isp's work with Kubuntu though. thx

January 29, 2010
by pbfy0

Kubuntu shouldn't be a restriction, if you're still using the same version of avrdude.

January 30, 2010
by Farmerjoecoledge

Thank's Mike, The isp is a usbasp in windows and avrisp in Kubuntu. It's not connecting to programmer yet but a little more debugging will fix that.

Before my laptop only had one usb port, now the dt has 4,1.0 and I added 4,2.0. The makefiles are all usb0 on linux, how does it know what port i'm on? I was just playing between the two programmers and it stopped recognizing usb0 on the front port.

January 30, 2010
by Farmerjoecoledge

Just a quick debug pic, I get this response from trying other programmers in the makefile, too. timeout-dude

This isp of mine is supposed to be a Avr Usb Isp, It looks like dude is taking too many smoke breaks and not getting the job done :D

January 30, 2010
by treymd

when you are plugging something into usb, have a terminal open, and as root (type su to become root in the terminal) run tail -f /var/log/messages

then plug in your USB device... you will see about 15 lines of info dumped into the log and in that info will be what mount point your device was put on.

USB devices (serial to USB in particular) will be mounted at /dev/ttyUSB# where, they are numbered in order of when they were plugged in, not what port they were plugged in.

January 30, 2010
by Farmerjoecoledge

Thanks for the tip treymd, I got the nkoo3 working for the feeds, It's the only chip I got with a bootloader on it. I need to get the isp working. Avrdude linux will recognize the programmer but won't flash the chip. Avrdude windows "use!!" to do both until it broke. So doesn't matter what os the dude is completely screwed. If it isn't bringing an error it's timeing out. Someone please tell me this isn't happening.

January 31, 2010
by Farmerjoecoledge

You "might" be happy to know the dude went to work, sort of. I put the latest winavr back on my laptop and the dude flashed the bootloader back on two chips "finally". Then took off to Mexico, he seen avr109 coming and split. Kubuntu and the gcc to the rescue! the dude over there gets it done. A little slack still, had to get him to flash her twice before getting the ledarray back on.

So, that's it, end of story. I have no idea why more people don't have this same problem. I used a brand new ledarray.c with the nk003 and it was still the same old "program terminates in an unusual way, contact support" error. If I didn't have linux it still wouldn't be flashed. Winavr and the isp worked to flash the bootloader and, that's it, now I'm bored. ttyl

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can input numbers in binary via a DIP switch, and output them to the LCD? Learn more...