NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » Anyone heard of this Budget Soldering Station?

January 14, 2010
by Phrank916

Notice I didn't say "Cheap" Soldering Station. I've always heard "cheap" implies poor quality. So it's "low-priced" or "budget" hehehe.

link

I got the link from another site that was recommending it. Has anyone heard of these? They say it's OEM just for them and that's why it's so low cost and has their name on it. Anyone recognize it and know who the OEM might be?

It's a smokin' good price if it's any good. They also have a digital readout one for only like 5 dollars more, but it's out of stock.

Ted

January 14, 2010
by Phrank916

Guess it pays to search around. I am pretty sure the soldering station posted above is manufactured by AOYUE. It looks almost exactly like this one:

link

January 15, 2010
by Rick_S

I hadn't really heard of Aoyue until I was looking for a hot air rework station. I still haven't purchased one but This Place was where I was looking. I'm not really sure of the quality but the price is definitely right. I would agree with you that the 1st link you provided was probably made by Aoyue if not, its a darn good clone! Maybe someone else will chime in who has used these...

Rick

January 15, 2010
by Phrank916

Well, I did it.. I've been watching a bunch of auctions on eBay and I just bid on and WON a Weller EC2001 ESD power supply for $11.50.

It is now going to need a soldering pencil (and stand, sponge, etc) and from the pictures on the auction I see on the back plate it says: "For use with the Weller soldering pencil EC1201PESD". Problem is, I've checked on a few sites that are saying this pencil is "obsolete". The standard replacement iron which claims to be compatible that I've seen on a few sites is the EC1201A. Any Cooper Tools/Weller experts out there that might know exactly which model pencil(s) I can use with this particular model power station? I've also seen the EC1302A which is thinner and only a 20W iron. With the new replacement irons going for over $100 I don't want to get the wrong thing.

January 15, 2010
by Phrank916

I think I'm going to get the EC1503B soldering pencil. It's a 42W iron that, from all I've researched, is SUPPOSED to work with the power station I got. Let's hope so.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can impress a loved one with a digitally-controlled Valentine's Day Card with randomly twinkling LEDs? Learn more...