NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Minor request

April 17, 2009
by ranger

I checked out the new nerdkits guide that has the resistor reference section. Using this, I was able to figure out the resistance amount of my resistors... except for one little problem. I'm red green colorblind, and in the nerdkits guide the red and the orange look identical. Like exactly. Could the red be made a little darker? I don't have much of a problem telling the difference on actual resistors, but I did have trouble figuring it out from the guide; ended up asking a non-colorblind person to help me for a minute.

Aside from that, great work guys :) I just ordered another MCU/breadboard and stuff; can't get enough :)

May 01, 2009
by mongo

I too have some troubles with the color bands on resistors... Not so much as color differentiation as to focusing on them individually. I just keep a DVM handy and check them to be sure. Saves a lot of time, especially when the rest of my family wouldn't be of much help without teaching them what to look for in the first place.

I also noticed in the guide that the grey (#8) is missing.

colors are:

Black, 0, Abbreviated as K, (blacK) 2 letter, BK

Brown, 1, B, BR

Red, 2, R, RD

Orange, 3 O, OR

Yellow, 4 Y, YE

Green, 5 G, GN

Blue, 6 U, (blUe) BU

Violet, 7 V, VT

Grey, 8 S, (Slate) GY Betchya thought it would still start with an S huh?

White 9 W, WH

Since more colors use the letter 'B' and 'G', A different and unique letter from the name is used. Slate is just another Grey color and helps keep it separate from Green.

Two letter abbreviations are also common if there is room and are much easier to read without mixing them up.

Some resistors have no color bands at all. Generally in the more precise variety and they are actually printed. Still in code, so a resistor that reads "102" is actually a 1K, just like BKR (black, brown,red) or 1,0,two zeros.

Another reads "473" would be the same as YVO (yellow,violet,orange) or 4,7,three zeros.

There are also tolerance bands which get mixed in there too, like Silver for 10%, Gold for 5% and none at all for 20%. Even tighter tolerances can be marked with color bands too, for 1%, 2% and so on. Pretty soon, the whole thing is striped in colors and it can be difficult to tell at times, which end to start reading from. That's why I keep the DVM handy.

Happy tinkering,

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can connect a computer keyboard to your microcontroller? Learn more...