NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Help with circuit schematic of Ignition coil driver

January 01, 2010
by kellogg49450

Hello, I am interested in building the circuit that is shown on the projects page of the Ignition coil driver that started off as a Ignition source for a potatoe cannon. I am interested in building it to test the individual coil on plug coils that are on the newer automobiles. I need the schematic and list of parts if possible. you could email them to me at kellogg@i2k.com if anyone has them. Thanks

January 03, 2010
by Rick_S

I realize this isn't the NK design but I did find this link to a similar project that may provide the info to get you started. I have not tried any of this so proceed with caution!

Ignition coil circuit

Seems like a lot of good info there on that subject.

Hope this helps,

Rick

January 05, 2010
by mrobbins
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi kellogg49450,

Unfortunately I don't have my original ignition coil unit anymore, but it was very much like the one on the Rick sent out, with a BJT power transistor and heatsink. However, be aware that it's very easy to fry your equipment when experimenting with this kind of stuff -- I think I lost one microcontroller and a few transistors while tweaking mine. Keep away from expensive test equipment like oscilloscopes, etc!

Mike

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that a thermometer can be made "faster" by using a bit of math? Learn more...