NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » XBox live friends on the LED display.

December 30, 2009
by Solorbob

I'm still working my way through the nerd kit basic projects, but I have my sights set on the LED array kit to display my xbox live friends online and if I have any new messages. I'm just in the idea phase of the project.

Anyone have any thoughts on it? Good, bad, or other...

Shawn

December 30, 2009
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Solorbob,

That sounds like a really neat idea. Does xbox live expose your friends and your messages through some API?

Humberto

December 30, 2009
by Solorbob

Humberto,

I'm not sure yet. I might have to write a screen scraper program to gather the information I'm looking to get. I'll have to play around with it some or ask around at work. I work in an IS shop of over 2500 folks. I'm sure I can find someone to help me out if I get stuck.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Shawn

December 31, 2009
by Solorbob

I did find some APIs availabe, but they did not return what I was looking to display. I found that I can pull all of the information I want to display using Excel's data import function. In about 2 minutes, I was able to get the needed info into a worksheet with auto refresh bult in. I can dump the needed info to a file pretty eaisly. I just need to build my array and understand how to write to it.

I hope to have it done or at least working by the end of the weekend.

Shawn

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that interrupts can be used to trigger pieces of code when events happen? Learn more...