NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » ISP and micro madness.

December 26, 2009
by Farmerjoecoledge

This is too much for me. This particular chip already flashed the ledarray and the thing wouldn't run. I have another chip from the same batch running the trafficlight with no problems. (http://www.mediashare.com/index_launch.php?source_ui=launch?action=login&windowwidth=1012&windowheight=706&os=win&osversion=xp&browser=firefox&browserversion=3&action=login&WMPversion=none&QTPversion=0.0&FLPversion=8.0.0&referrer=http://www.mediashare.com/)

December 26, 2009
by Farmerjoecoledge

Ignore the above pic,thx

alt image text

December 27, 2009
by Farmerjoecoledge

OK,I guess I should ask a question. Does anybody know what "mismatch at location 0x00000B4" means? No? Ok, Me niether. BUT,if you had one of the nerds 168's and you didn't have a serial shifter but you got a avrusb or a usbasp adapter. Witch is avrdude compatible and,

You know there's a bootloader on the chip but the usbasp doesn't need or use the bootloader, which is good but now you've loaded the trafficlight.hex which run's but no! it shouldn't run because it's written to run "from" the bootloader, no? So is that code running like normal? And I just loaded the code with a different protocol, that's all?

I just about got it, soon the nerds philosophy is going to hatch a good, smarter, egg.

December 27, 2009
by Farmerjoecoledge

Let me rephrase that, how's "better faster egg"

Anyway, maybe you know why ttl logic is a part of it? It's RS232 at the usb the chip is RS232. So the ttl, does it really need to be there and why? Seems the isp protocol doesn't even mention RS232 or ttl. What's up with that? Does the voltage level for the 1's and 0's vary every 1/4 volt? Seems that way there's a ton of logic levels. Or is this a classic case of million and one people wanting a piece of the core pie of all systems or a good percentage of them? Deciding on the next step is getting closer.

December 28, 2009
by Farmerjoecoledge

Enough! My final last words, ATmega168's are CMOS logic. It's all logical. I got my blocks so see you around.

December 29, 2009
by Electromech

Farmer Joe is this one of those threads where your actually talking to yourself out loud and just venting???

December 29, 2009
by Farmerjoecoledge

Yeah, You know a guy could write a book quite easily on this stuff, Yeah, and I try not to talk to myself but Hey! got to get it out , you know. BTW, do you know why a fresh flash on a new chip doesn't run? OOpps! Talking to myself again ;D

December 29, 2009
by Farmerjoecoledge

You know me hey? Electromech, well now I can't shut up.

I just wanted to mention, the same chip and software from above flashed the ledarray this morning first thing. I got that part figured, the software only works once per flash then i have to reboot. And more bad news with the logic. Seems the chip is made with cmos logic but can be changed to "any" other logic as long as the the two match. That's how the ttl stuck it's nose into the picture.

See it really does help, to be a babbling idiot "sometimes".

January 14, 2010
by Farmerjoecoledge

And after all that, this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHxdbTEW1-4

It's something that really shouldn't be done, 220v and 5v in the same system is just not good policy.

Farmerjoe

January 14, 2010
by Rick_S

Grant, In your video you were stating that it was a puzzler that when you disconnected the power from your programmer the program would stop. What is most likely happening when you disconnect the power from your programmer, you are probably resetting the your controller line because there is nothing keeping the reset line pulled high. Try adding a 10K resistor between pin one and +5v and see if that solves the puzzle.

Rick

January 14, 2010
by Farmerjoecoledge

Hey there Rick, how's it goin!

I threw that in just for kicks :D When I first saw that I thought, good one! This is how the reset works. If I unhook the programmer it will run independently.

Grant

January 14, 2010
by Rick_S

Good to know that got it!!

Another mystery solved :)

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can connect a pushbutton to a microcontroller with only one wire? Learn more...