NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » Servo Signal Noise

December 22, 2009
by Kelp

Hi guys,

I'm doing a project where I need to run 4 seperate basic hobby servo signal wires distances from 15 to 20 feet. I've read before that this has the potential to create a bunch of noise and signal loss and the most recent NerdKits tutorial (the multi LED array panels one) only served to back this up.

How much of a problem will these long distances cause, and is there anything I could do to prevent noise or loss? I don't need the servo movements to be incredibly accurate, but I'd like them to go in the direction I tell them :).

Thanks a bunch

~Kelp

December 24, 2009
by BobaMosfet

If your wire is untwisted, twist it. that will help eliminate signal interference from external things-- and if you like, include a third conductor that is grounded on both ends (ground to ground) which can actually help catch stray signal energy and dissippate it.

Other than that- be aware of how much resistance your wire itself presents over distance, and compensate for that (perhaps by amplifying the signal with an op-amp).

Lastly, be aware that you will be getting a 60Hz noise signal anyway, on everything-- it could be that any other signal noise you receive is nominal or not as bad as that, so you may not have to worry about it at all.

You might consider doing differential signaling (requires two pins for TX and two pins for RX, if you get into something that is critical).

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can connect a computer keyboard to your microcontroller? Learn more...