NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » pl2303 suddenly doesn't want to play

December 09, 2009
by mcai8sh4

Greetings people, I have stumbled across a little problem, I've lost my nerd kit header!

Worked fine last time I used it, never had a problem, then I tried it today and nothing. It could (must) be my computer, although everything else works fine. My ISP works ok.

Here's what I'm getting : I plug in the usb cable, turn on, 'make' and get an error saying 'can't find /dev/ttyUSB0' - after a while (10-20sec) the led on the header starts flashing like there's some data being transfered - although there isn't.

Here (hopefully) is a quick screenshot showing some... stuff, it may be of use, it may not.

Initially pl2303 driver was not there so wayward nudged me in the right direction to modprobe it.

Ideas, hints, suggestions, condolences welcome.

stuff

December 09, 2009
by mcai8sh4

... sorry, I went a little overkill on the picture.

I promise to crop/resize next time.

December 09, 2009
by JKITSON

I HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM... FOUND THAT SOMETIMES WHEN YOU PLUG & UNPLUG THE USB CABLE FROM THE PC THE COMM PORT CHANGES....

GO TO CONTROL PANNEL AND CHECK WHICH COMM PORT THE PC ASSIGNED THE CABLE TO..

THEN CHANGE THE COMM REF IN MAKE FILE TO MATCH....

JIM

December 09, 2009
by JKITSON

SORRY IGNORE THE ABOVE AS I LOOKED BACK AND SEE YOU ARE USING UNIX...

THE INFO STILL APPLIES TO WINDOWS & XP..

JIM

December 09, 2009
by pbfy0

try doing:

ls -l /dev/TTYUSB*

that might help

February 24, 2010
by mcai8sh4

Back to this problem again. I had a big run of extreme busy-ness, and haven't had time to play. Now I'm determined to solve this issue!

I've tried a few things, nothings working, I've added the pl2303 module, plugged in the device, but at no point does ttyUSB0.. appear.

I'm a bit lost as to how to continue - any thoughts appreciated.

-steve

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that a flyback diode is important when driving a motor or any inductive load? Learn more...