NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Altoids Tin Cutting

December 02, 2009
by FWSquatch

I need to cut a small square hole in an Altoids tin. Round ones are a cinch, but this needs to be about 1/4 inch square. Any ideas?

December 02, 2009
by mcai8sh4

FWSquatch : depending on what tools you have at your disposal... You could make a punch - it's a bit of a pain, but if done well will give a nice result.

If you're ok with slightly rounded corners, drill 4 small holes in the corners, then using a "high-speed rotary multi purpose jobbie"(TM), like a dremmel, get a side cutting tool and try to join the holes up with the straightest lines you can manage.

Router, with metal cutter.

Drill loads of small holes so the outside of the holes are slightly smaller than the square you want. Then get a file and clean up the edges.

Thats all I can think of right now. Good luck

-Steve

December 02, 2009
by Rick_S

Nibbling tools work well for that too (depending on what you want to spend) Amazon link

December 02, 2009
by FWSquatch

Thanks for the advice, guys. I found my dremel out in the garage and was able to make the holes that way.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that the microcontroller's crystal oscillator can be used to keep accurate time? Learn more...