NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Linux Sucks

December 01, 2009
by Farmerjoecoledge

I changed my name from "stillpissedoff" to "farmer" and it locked me out!! It goes to the login and then to a little window that say's "Cannot enter home directory. Using/." with a ok that goes back to the login. I just lost the whole setup. That's it my linux day's are OVER!

December 02, 2009
by FWSquatch

Sounds like you are running Kubuntu. I use Ubuntu and love it. I think this forum post might address your problem.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3099693

It says that you can just add another new user from the command line using this command:

sudo useradd farmerjoe -m -d /home/farmerjoe -p joespassword -g admin -s /bin/bash

December 02, 2009
by wayward

FJC, how exactly did you change your username (I assume that's what you wanted to change)?

If you just renamed your home directory, that is not the right way to do it. The error message you're getting hints at that. If you changed your user's entry in /etc/passwd, that is also not the right way to do it. That would leave you unable to log in, due to the discrepancy between /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow tables.

If you tell us exactly what you did, we can help you fix it and gain access to your data (which is surely not lost, unless you also deleted your home directory). Doesn't your distribution have some user-friendly way of modifying user login detals?

December 02, 2009
by Farmerjoecoledge

Hi mcai8sh4,

I went to system settings/advanced tab/users to change it, no big deal on windows.

December 03, 2009
by wayward

That does sound like some KDE-based operating system. I use plain vanilla Ubuntu, which ships GNOME; perhaps some KDE user can help resolve this?

December 03, 2009
by Farmerjoecoledge

It's kubuntu or it was kubuntu. That's not just the KDE it's the kernel, it's built that way from the ground up. Administration, root, sudo, superuser, user, and me. Me being the only one who doesn't have any control over their "security" bullshit that's way outdated. I went by their book when i changed my name, it happened before, and before and before that, i lost count but it's around XXV times i've installed and uninstalled various distro's for various reasons, mostly because anybody can write code for that project, and they do and they do, but do they have to smoke that opium first. There's no fix for this, not a big loss i'm getting a xp cd right away here so, it's goodby linux bin good to know ya...repeat, it's kinda catchy.

Farmerjoecoledge

December 04, 2009
by wayward

Well, nothing is worth your time and nerves. Go with what lets you do your work with minimum fuss!

December 04, 2009
by Farmerjoecoledge

Make's perfect sence to me. Get this, if I would have stayed "stillpissedoff" and not let my guard down, i'd still be a "stillpissedoff" "swearing" linux user, instead of some civilized "farmer".

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that NerdKits make a great gift? Learn more...