NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » avrdude:ser_open(): Can't open device "COM2"

July 03, 2018
by Darren1107

C:nerdkitsCodeinitialload>make make -C ../libnerdkits make[1]: Entering directory C:/nerdkits/Code/libnerdkits' avr-gcc -g -Os -Wall -mmcu=atmega168 -o delay.o -c delay.c avr-gcc -g -Os -Wall -mmcu=atmega168 -o lcd.o -c lcd.c avr-gcc -g -Os -Wall -mmcu=atmega168 -o uart.o -c uart.c make[1]: Leaving directoryC:/nerdkits/Code/libnerdkits' avr-gcc -g -Os -Wall -mmcu=atmega168 -Wl,-u,vfprintf -lprintf_flt -Wl,-u,vfscanf -lscanf_flt -lm -o initialload.o initialload.c ../libnerdkits/delay.o ../libnerdkits/lcd.o ../libnerdkits/uart.o avr-objcopy -j .text -O ihex initialload.o initialload.hex avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P COM2 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "COM2": The system cannot find the file specified.

make: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1

This is the error I get at the end of the make command. My COM Port is COM 2. I am running Windows 10 Baud Rate doesn't seem to matter as I have tried 112500 and 9600 and both come out with the same issue. I am able to see programming mode on the screen as it seems the initial program loaded onto the chip shows, however the scrolling line 2 is not scrolling (I gather this is programming mode). ANy clues on where to go to from here?

July 17, 2018
by countryguy828

As a guess, I would say there is a compatibility conflict between the ftdi cable and windows 10.

Dave

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that a microcontroller can measure an RC time constant? Learn more...