NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » I get my BSEE in two and a half weeks!

April 19, 2017
by rboggs10

Wow! It has been forever since I have logged into NerdKits. This is where it all started for me. This is where I found out what I want to be doing for the rest of my life.

On May 6th, 2017, I will be graduating college with my bachelor's in electrical engineering, and if is wasn't for the initial inspiration that NerdKits gave me, I am not sure that would have happened. Unlike the majority of my peers, I knew exactly what I was going to college for the moment I walked across the stage in high school, and if not for a simple Christmas gift, that may have been different. I may have ended up like them, choosing a general education associates just so that I could find out what to do next.

About 6 years ago, I simply enjoyed taking electronics apart to see what was inside, and look in awe as I wondered how they worked. At this point, I never even considered turning this into a career. My parents noticed this, and gave me a NerdKit for Christmas. Thanks to the momentum that the NerdKit started me with, most of my EE classes were really easy to me.

What is even more exciting, is that I have been offered a part-time job as a graduate research assistant by one of my professors, that will pay for my master's degree! This is an opportunity that I can't wait to start!

It is sad to see this place so deserted. I can only imagine that NerdKits just couldn't compete with Arduino. Honestly, due to my experience with NerdKits, when I first tried Arduino, I felt like it was too automated to me. I felt like I couldn't really learn real microcontroller programming with the Arduino.

Anyway, thank you Humberto and Michael, wherever you are. I may not be at this most fortunate position in my life right now if it weren't for you.

Ryan Boggs

April 21, 2017
by scootergarrett

Congrats. It’s funny how something small at the time can end up changing so much. I ended up using the Nerdkits for my master (http://www.nerdkits.com/forum/thread/2843/). Once you start on your masters, dropping out should never cross your mind, I saw too many people end up losing fuscous and dropping out after so much work. In 2013 I think I left the state once; the rest of the time I was wearing the paint of my keyboard. It’s not easy (some is fun) but it’s nice in the end

April 21, 2017
by Ralphxyz

Wow, Congrats Ryan!!

This is so interesting, after getting my Nerdkits I could see where/how I could have gone on to a career and further formal learning. But of course I was in my late sixties by then.

Ralph

May 03, 2017
by BobaMosfet

Ryan,

Congratulations!!! We're proud of you. Electronics is like nothing else.

BM

May 04, 2017
by rboggs10

Thank you all! I finished my last final exam on Tuesday and I walk across the stage this Saturday.

May 08, 2017
by sask55

Ryan

I just read your post. I don't log into NerdKits often anymore.

I too would like to congratulate you on your bachelor's in electrical engineering. I feel that your story is an interesting and impressive example of the influence and power that a simple and seemingly unimportant event may possibly have on a persons life.

Darryl

May 21, 2017
by lnino

Congratulations. Keep motivated and focused.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that essentially all power supplies' voltages drop when current is drawn from them? Learn more...