NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » Microchip buying Atmel

February 13, 2016
by Ralphxyz

I haven't seen any mention of the Microchip purchase.

I have no idea what if any impact this will have on us.

I have been tempted to play around with some of the Microchip chips but never got a Round 2 it.

Ralph

February 14, 2016
by scootergarrett

I’m no expert in the semiconductor business, but I think we are safe leaching off the Arduino group and there constant need for AtMegas. The zombie apocalypse survivor in me still wants to stock pile 328s though

February 16, 2016
by BobaMosfet

This is a surprise given the strength of Atmel in the marketplace. One of the things I've really appreciated about Atmel is their openness for developers regarding their products-- something microchip is not as open about. I also think Atmel is organized better, and their architecture is better.

I'm concerned with pricing structures as you go up in core chip power-- with Atmel, it's been incredibly reasonable, and the packages are usually easier to work with whereas I've found microchip to get expensive.

Sad.

BM

February 16, 2016
by BobaMosfet

And by sad, I mean-- in business today, you don't beat your superior competition-- you buy them and kill them. Rarely does a superior competitor invest in inferior competition.

February 25, 2016
by mongo

The only way it can survive is if they see the actual value in the continuance. Killing off better tech simply because it was better is quite counterproductive. If they buy it out, they ought to at least support it as it becomes part of their success.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that binary numbers use base 2 to represent numbers, and these are important for understanding microcontroller registers? Learn more...