NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » upload to Arduino mini pro

November 15, 2015
by sask55

I am thinking about using a Arduino mini pro in a project. I would like to upload a AVR hex file unto the Arduino's ATmega 328P and use the as I would in a nerd kit. I don't want to make use of any Arduino libraries or features. I only require access to the CPU and the pin connections on the Arduino board. I am looking for a good way to program and run the CPU on the Arduino as if it was on a nerdkit board.

I have a couple of USBASP programmers around. I also have some FT232RL FT232 USB to Serial adapter module USB TO 232 For Arduino pro mini.

Does anyone know if it is possible to upload a C code derived hex file to this Arduino using the Arduino boatloader that comes on the CPU by using the USB serial adapter? Could I connect the USBASP programmer to the appropriate pins on the Arduino board and upload a hex file to the CPU just as if it where on a nerdkit board?

November 16, 2015
by sask55

I used a USBASP programmer. I have the CPU on the Arduino programmed now.

November 16, 2015
by Ralphxyz

Short answer YES!! I believe the crystal is different on a Arduino than a NerdKit but it is just a Atmel 328P you do not have to use a bootloader.

November 19, 2015
by Rick_S

BTW, you don't have to program an arduino with an ISP programmer if you don't want to use the processing development platform. I programmed them with standard C most of the time. All you have to have is a USB/Serial adapter that has DTR connections, and change your makefile to support the arduino bootloader (basically have to change avr109 to arduino and maybe the baud) Its been a while...

December 04, 2015
by lnino

When I found a compiled .hex file for arduino I am using following steps to get the hex file into the ATMega328P:

1) Connect the USBasp programmer to myMultiProg Board

2) Place the ATMega328 in the myMultiProg Board

3) Run Burnomat Software to burn the hex file on the ATMega328P.

December 04, 2015
by sask55

Thanks lnino

actually I was trying to burn the ATMega328P that comes mounted on a arduino mini pro board with a .hex file. I compiled the .hex file from code I wrote in C code using programmers notepad.

I ended up just skipping the arduino bootloader by using a USBASP programmer and Khazama AVR Programmer software, it has work fine.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that interrupts can cause problems if you're not careful about timing and memory access? Learn more...