NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » Makefile and Programmer's Notepad

September 16, 2015
by RickMcKeon

In a Windows environment, if you can run the Makefile right from the Programmer's Notepad Tools dropdown menu why does the NerdKits User's Manual tell you to run it from the DOS command line?

I just read this in Elliot Williams "AVR Programming" and it seems to work just fine.

Rick

September 17, 2015
by JKITSON

I think ther are numerous programs like PN available to use. Not all have the built in compiler. I am glad I took the time to learn DOS method but I do use PN compile all the time.

Jim

September 17, 2015
by RickMcKeon

Thanks Jim, That makes sense. Rick

September 18, 2015
by Rick_S

Like Jim said, there are several IDE's (Integrated Development Environment) out there. Programmers Notepad is a very basic IDE. The more current releases don't even have the compile options in the menu, you have to add them yourself. Programmers notepad doesn't do any compiling, it just shells out to the command prompt in the background and echo's the text to the "Output" section for you to see. It's no different than if you had written a batch file in the command prompt and run that to do your compile, just prettier.

Rick

September 18, 2015
by JKITSON

Thanks Rick.

I suspected that was how PN was doing it but did not know for sure. I did not want to say something that was not right and basically did so by stating the PN compiled the pgms. Thanks for the lessons again.

JIm

September 18, 2015
by RickMcKeon

Thanks Guys, That helps a lot. I have run the Makefile from the DOS command line and from my version of PN. Both appear to work fine. I'm glad I understand the DOS approach and especially the directory structure on my laptop, but I'll probably run it out of PN from now on. Rick McKeon

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that our customers love us? Learn more...