NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » any body using the DS18B20

March 22, 2015
by Ralphxyz

The DS18B20 is a Wifi module for less than $3.00 on ebay.

Has anybody used one?

I am thinking about using one for a ground temperature project I have been planning for a long time. That and of course i still have my weather station project in mind.

March 22, 2015
by Noter

I haven't tried that wifi device but I like the price. So far I plan to use bluetooth for my ground temperature project. Since it's out in the field it will be battery powered and I am a little concerned about the bluetooth module using too much power so maybe I'll put it on a toggle switch so I can leave it off most of the time and just flip the switch when I want to upload data to my phone. Haven't figured it all out yet.

March 23, 2015
by Ralphxyz

I was going to use a solar panel. My location is probable to far for bluetooth. I had been thinking of using ZigBee but for the price of the WiFi I will try that first.

So one of the first things I'll be looking for is a solar lithium battery charger, anybody done that?

March 23, 2015
by JKITSON

RALPH Try this link might be some help..

SOLAR CHARGER

Jim

March 23, 2015
by Ralphxyz

I bought the Sparkfun Sunny Bunny is uses the LT3652 controller chip. Thanks Jim

March 23, 2015
by JKITSON

Let us know how it works out...

Jim

March 23, 2015
by Ralphxyz

I am going through my weather parts bin and find I have a bunch of DS18B20 Dallas One Wire temperature sensors that I got a couple of years ago when Paul (Noter) mention making up a ground temperature station.

Now to figure out how to join the DS18B20's with the ESP8266 wifi. I might have to use a Arduino in between.

There is a forum for the ESP8266 so I should be able to get help there.

Now one question is how to treat a Lithium battery for the weather, it will be outside 24hr a day summer (hot 110°) and winter (cold -10°). I am thinking about burying it. I could dig a 3' - 4' hole with my post hole digger. What do you think any suggestions?

Of course this ain't what I am supposed to be working on, geeech!!

March 23, 2015
by JKITSON

That should work fine. I would line the hole with pvc pipe with a cap glued on the bottom. Make a cap for the top with wires out the side. Insulate with fiberglass 12 to 16 inches. The ground should keep it fairly stable. One note what is the frost line there in your area? You should go below the frost line.

Jim

March 24, 2015
by Ralphxyz

I don't believe the frost line is more than 18" we "usually" have about 30 days of <20° total.

March 24, 2015
by Noter

The DS18B20 is a lot easier to use with an Arduino as compared to the nerdkit. You can get sample code at http://playground.arduino.cc/Learning/OneWire where the oneWire library is explained. Probably a good idea to start by hooking up some DS18B20's to an arduino and get the sample to work and go from there.

I have an old 12v car battery that I was thinking of using. I see that Menards has a solar charger for about $20 so maybe that is the way I will go.

How far is your ground temperature station going to be from your house? Do you expect to be able to reach it with WiFi from inside?

March 24, 2015
by Ralphxyz

It will be 200' to one wifi router and 300' to another. A pretty clear line of sight without a lot trees in the way no buildings. Some people are reporting a 300yd range with the ESP8266 so I "should" be good.

I'll do some proto testing at my desk with different Arduino setups. I also ordered a couple of the ESPtoy to work with the ESP8266 I might want to add a Soil Moisture Sensor, barometric pressure, Humidity and Wind Speed. I have always wanted a weather station.

Apparently the ESP8266 is programmable like the Nerdkits I am not sure what the mcu is but following along in the forums it looks familiar.

I got a solar panel off ebay and the Sparkfun Sunny Bunny to charge a Lithium battery. What a horrible name.

March 24, 2015
by Ralphxyz

duh, the ESP8266 is the mcu, I thought it was the module.

March 27, 2015
by Ralphxyz

double duh, the mcu is apparently the L106 Diamond. The ESP8266 is the module!!

I am actually learning a lot googling around.

Here is a good Quick Start Guide.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that there are Power MOSFETs for switching big loads on and off? Learn more...