NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » Need a header/free-haning connector for LCD

June 20, 2014
by jlaskowski

I finally got the ATMega 328p to interface with the TiWi-SL (Texas Instruments Wifi Chip) and sent a message through my router to my laptop. That only took a couple years (off and on)!

I'm ready to move away from the breadboard and get this on a PCB. I'm using Cadsoft Eagle to design the breadboard.

I want the ability to plug/unplug the LCD into my PCB. The LCD has a 16 position header with only 10 used per Nerdkit instructions. I'm thinking 10 wires coming out of the LCD header into a connector that connects to its opposite gender connector soldered to the board (through-hole). I am having one heck of a time finding this pair of connectors. I've found plenty that I can buy by the thousands, but I can't seem to find a pair I can purchase just one of. Any ideas?

Jim

June 21, 2014
by Rick_S

One of the easier methods is to use IDC crimp connectors and ribbon cable with mating header connectors. If you get the sockets with the shroud, they are keyed so you can't plug the cable in wrong. If you want to crimp your own pins onto individual wires to build connectors, Pololu.com has a great selection of both the crimp ends and the shrouds. If you want IDC connectors, I normally go to eBay.

June 21, 2014
by jlaskowski

Thanks, Rick. Pololu.com had exactly what I need!

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that electric fields behave differently in different materials? Learn more...