NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Can't install latest version of Atmel AVR Toolchain - 3.4.3 (3.4.x)

January 24, 2014
by dvdsnyd

Hi all, I recently reinstalled windows on my computer. I usually try to do this every so often(once a year-once every other year) It forces me to clean things up, plus it is amazing how bogged down computers can get with junk...I digress...

So I figured I'd try to install the latest AVR toolchain from Atmel's site.

Atmel AVR Toolchain

It downloads fine, but when I click the installer, it extracts to a directory, but then doesn't do anything else. All I wind up with is a folder with all of the bin,gcc and other misc files required...but it doesn't appear to actually install?

Has anyone else tried installing this version? I am confused by the installation notes as well.

Thanks for your input,

Dave

January 24, 2014
by dvdsnyd

Sorry, didn't mean to post twice. I got an error when I installed(Assuming because the forums are slowly falling apart) and didn't realize it actually posted.

January 24, 2014
by dvdsnyd

When I download the 8bit avr version, it appears I am getting some sort of 7-zip extractor. Why would this be?

January 24, 2014
by Noter

Maybe you are downloading the source? The 1st couple of links on the page are for source packages. Below that under the "Software" title you will find the regular packages. You'll know you're on the right track when you have to submit your contact info to get to the download. I would go for the latest one - "Atmel AVR 8-bit Toolchain 3.4.3 - Windows (14.4MB, updated November 2013)".

January 24, 2014
by dvdsnyd

I tried downloading the 8bit and 32 bit version of the installer. This seemed to work. However, I am still curious if anyone else is able to install the 8bit 3.4.3 version of the toolchain.

Thanks,

Dave

January 24, 2014
by Noter

Looks like there is something wrong with 3.4.3 windows version because it only downloads 14.8mb and the toolkit is much larger than that, it should be up around 100mb.

January 24, 2014
by Noter

Or maybe not since it's says 14.4mb in the description. I was just going from the linux download which is 105mb. I have XP running in a virtual machine on my linux box so I'll give it a try there later and see if it installs.

January 24, 2014
by Noter

Yep, 3.4.3 windows did the same thing for me, just unpacked the files into a directory. That's all the linux version ever does and all I have to do is change my PATH variable to reference the new directory. Probably that would work for the 3.4.3 windows version too. Easy enough to test, just use the command "set PATH=C:\file-directory-path;%PATH%" to temporarily put the new directory (change file-directory-path to wherever your files are) at the beginning of the PATH and then "avr-gcc -v" to see if you get the new version.

January 25, 2014
by dvdsnyd

Thanks for confirming this for me Notoer. Maybe I'll try to set the PATH variable and see if it works. Otherwise I have the 3.4.2 version working. I was able to confirm using "avr-gcc -v"

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can build an analog amplifier with one transistor and a few resistors? Learn more...