NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » FFC/FPC connection ideas?

September 09, 2013
by andyi

I have a few bits and pieces reclaimed from other devices which i'd like to reuse. Chief amongst them are a couple of tft panels from cell phones. The issue is the connector. How can I connect flat printed cable to a breadboard without spending big on special connectors? Can anyone give me some tips on where to start? The first one I'm trying to use is a 0.8 mm pitch with 14 connections.

September 09, 2013
by Ralphxyz

andyi, I have made up headers using the plastic spacer from solder headers.

I just substitute 22ga or 20ga wire for the header pins so I can make the headers as tall as I want.

You can bend the wires to fit any flatwire connector!

Ralph

September 10, 2013
by andyi

Thanks for getting back to me Ralph. Do you mean you just bend the wire back over the spacer and lie the flat wire on top? Doesn't the wire move at all? Do you then just tape down the flat wire? I was going to attempt this but it all seems very fiddly. Still - I'll give it a go. Andy.

September 10, 2013
by Ralphxyz

Hi andyi, re:"How can I connect flat printed cable to a breadboard without spending big on special connectors? "

Darn wish I had a picture.

Take double row header and remove the pins.

Replace the pins with 22ga possible 20ga wire.

Bend the wires on the bottom to form a straight line, insert into the breadboard (123456789101112).

Bend the top wires to fit your flat cable, insert into cable header. (1357911) (24681012)

Ralph

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that first-order systems have a exponentially decaying response to step inputs? Learn more...