NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » test

NerdKits » Forums » Everything Else » test (16 posts)
July 09, 2013
by dvdsnyd

test

July 09, 2013
by dvdsnyd

Just wanted to test to see if the forums were still down, looks like they are working again!

July 09, 2013
by JKITSON

Thank goodness they are back. I have been going thru **** not having the site to read. I usually check in 4 to 5 times a day.. Learn a lot from all the posts.

Jim

July 09, 2013
by dvdsnyd

I know Jim, I didn't realize they were down until I went to post on my EEPROM thread...They seemed to get the site back up pretty quickly, just wish there was some communication relating what the issue was.

I have learned a ton from these forums! I hope they stay active for a long time to come...

Dave

July 12, 2013
by Ralphxyz

So is it down again??

July 12, 2013
by dvdsnyd

I hope not:-(

Are you having problems Ralph?

I sent 3 emails to Humberto and Mike...NO responses as of yet...

Dave

July 12, 2013
by Ralphxyz

No problems, there just has not been any traffic for a couple of days so I thought I'd test.

Ralph

July 12, 2013
by dvdsnyd

I've noticed :-(

It seems people are starting to slowly move on. I don't think they will or are selling new kits either, so no new people...A bit of a bummer too, because I truly bought into the Nerdkit way of doing things. It is what made me choose it over Arduino. Only time will tell...

Have you gotten your 3d printer up and running? Working on any projects lately, Ralph?

Dave

July 12, 2013
by dvdsnyd

I stand corrected, the "store" does have 16 available kits...

July 12, 2013
by BobaMosfet

I'm still here, too. haven't had any problems since the first major occurrence.

BM

July 13, 2013
by Ralphxyz

Hey Dave, surprise surprise, my early beta (for manufacturing purpose) 3D printer didn't make it's projected shipping date!!

It's only 3 months late at the moment. I am #14 on the list so I probable will receive it sometime in August. Here is a neat WiKi link for my printer

Of course I am still trying to learn 3D Cad so I do not have any problems with the delay.

Ralph

July 13, 2013
by dvdsnyd

Hi BM! Glad to see you are still around :-)

Looks like it will be a nice printer! Did you find it through a crowdfunding site like Kickstarter? 3 months isn't too bad...yet, hopefully you get it soon! What program are you using for 3d CAD?

I have been looking at a lot of the 3d printers on sites like Kickstarter, but they are so expensive at the moment. I just don't know how much I would actually use it. What kind of plans do you have for yours?

Dave

July 13, 2013
by Ralphxyz

Hi Dave, I found the QU-BD at the New York City Maker Faire. I looked at thousands of 3D printers at the Faire and the RPM really stood out. I signed up for their first beta for manufacturing batch. They are learning how to become a manufacturer, which has had it's problems.

I really liked some of the Delta 3D printers just because I was fascinated with the mechanics of their operation but went with the RPM because it is so relatively speaking substantial to do CNC milling.

It is a 3D printer that can do CNC milling it is not a CNC mill, it will not make a 1/2" cut in stainless steel in a single pass.

I want to be able to mount different heads (lasers/spindles) so the RPM offers that utility while not being as fast as the QU-BD RXL 3D printer (500mm/s) the RPM "should do 150mm/s.

I jumped on the $1,500.00 price for the beta program they will have a price increase when they go into full production.

I really do not have a lot of ideas for 3D printing. I have some items I want to print but I do not have a lot of imagination for printing things.

The Simpson or Wally 3D printers from ConceptForge

Look really great Nicolas is projecting a $300.00 price tag

Ralph

July 13, 2013
by dvdsnyd

Hi Ralph,

I can't imagine the difficulties with starting a manufacturing run. I saw that the QU-BD had the CNC option, that would be really handy too.

Wow I hadn't seen those styles of 3d printers before. It is amazing how quickly they are evolving. It will be interesting to see where the price will be in another year or two. I know I will own a 3d printer some day. $300 is a great price, can't find a decent color laser printer for much under that these days.

I wonder how long before sterolithography becomes the go to method of printing. Seems that it is the best way to get high resolution prints.

this project generated quite a stir between Formlabs, Kickstarter, and 3DSystems. 3DSystems wanted to sue kickstarter and Formlabs for patent infringement. Don't think they succeeded though.

There are so many things on sites like Thingiverse that I am sure once you get going, your imagination will start to think of things :-)

Dave

July 14, 2013
by Ralphxyz

"I wonder how long before sterolithography becomes the go to method of printing."

I saw Formlabs really fascinating, but expensive at the moment.

I am thinking of building one.

My son is a expert on the Phenix System SLA, he works for Michelin in South Carolina and they have sent him to France a couple of times to show the manufacturer how he is able to keep his machine working 80% of the time versus their 50%.

Ralph

July 14, 2013
by dvdsnyd

When I mentioned sterolithography as the go to method of printing, I failed to mention, go to method for the hobby scene. Right now it is the go to method for industrial purposes.

Yes, Formlabs is really expensive, pretty impressive though.

It would be really cool if you were able to build one! I'd get in line for one :-)

Dave

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that hobby servos are controlled through a particular kind of PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signal? Learn more...