NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Problem Programming Nerdkit

June 23, 2013
by TheAmazinator

I have recently had trouble programming my nerdkit. I have had mine for a while and had taken a break after doing the bitwise arithmetic project. I came back a few months later and I can no longer program my nerdkit. I know my wiring is correct, and I have redone it multiple times. I believe that the problem has something to do with the software on my computer, so I uninstalled and reinstalled winAVR to no avail.

When I try to program the chip all I get is this in cmd:

avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P /COM2 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

Connecting to programmer: .

Found programmer: Id = "π <"; type = M

Software Version = . ; Hardware Version = .

avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?

make: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1

The programmer Id and type are always a different random character, pi and M are just the last ones that came up. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

June 23, 2013
by dvdsnyd

Hi,

There is a good explanation of this error in the library...which is not accessible right now, and many of us are questioning if it ever will become available again...

If you search Butterfly on the forum, you should get some decent ideas.

From what I have gathered from past experience, and searching on the forums is it basically comes down to the computer and microcontroller are not communicating. This can be for many different reasons. A few common things to check...

• wiring, you mentioned your wiring is correct, it may be, but depending on how long you left your kit sit, some of the wires/component leads may have gotten a bit of corrosion on them, just enough to mess up communication.

• battery, make sure you have a fresh battery plugged in.

• Programming switch - make sure it is in the correct position for programming.

Hopefully this gives you a few ideas to get you pointed in the right direction. Someone else may be able to chime in with better advice.

Good luck, let us know if you still are unable to get it going.

Dave

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that LEDs (light emitting diodes) only conduct current in one direction, like normal diodes? Learn more...