NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » Homemade development board

June 01, 2013
by dvdsnyd

Sorry it took so long, but I finally got some pics of my homemade development board. I designed the board in KiCad. It is a schematic editor and PCB layout program much like Eagle Cad, however it is open source and completely free. Once I had the pcb laid out how I wanted, I used the toner transfer method to get the PCB art onto the copper clad. I then etched the board using Ferric Chloride.

I haven't tried out the ISP programming functionality yet, but everything else has been working well for a couple weeks now.

Features... -On board adjustable Voltage supply or USB power -Reset -Hardware for automatic reset, have not tried it out yet -Unique board outline, Sits conveniently between 2 breadboards - Supplies power to both power rails of breadboards

I can post the schematic and any other information if people are interested.

Dev pics Dev pics

David

June 01, 2013
by killercow

Well done David! I've been toying around with making a dev board too but, with yours and Rick's (sorry if I hadn't mentioned any others), why would I want to.

Keep up the good job.

Kevin

June 01, 2013
by Ralphxyz

David, I like how it fits between two breadboards, good idea!

Ralph

June 01, 2013
by mongo

Since I haven't had a lot of time to play with my stuff here, I think you gave me an idea that may get me back into it some more. I like this idea.

June 01, 2013
by dvdsnyd

Thanks everyone!

It has been a great project to get acclimated to pcb design. Having the development board in between the breadboards is really nice. I wanted to have something that is easy to store without risking connections coming undone, or without tearing everything apart. I can unplug it and put it in a little storage box. and get it off my desk easily. Not sure why the pic is so big...Did the exact same thing I did with the other ones.

Let me know if you are interested in the dimensions or the schematic/pcb design files.

David

dev board

June 01, 2013
by dvdsnyd

Oops...The picture is alright...guess the preview was just goofy...

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that any circuit of voltage sources and resistors can be simplified to a "Thevenin" equivalent circuit? Learn more...