NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Error -1

April 28, 2013
by Jon_D

Can anyone please explain what the Error -1 means when I type the "make" command in the Command Prompt and how to correct it?

Thanks,

Jon

April 28, 2013
by pcbolt

Jon

Was there an error message that displayed after the error code?

April 29, 2013
by Jon_D

No. The last line of the command prompt screen was:

make.exe ***[initialload.hex] Error -1

I modified the initialload.c file to change the message it would display on the lcd screen and when I went to program the chip I get the "Error -1" line in the command prompt. I also recieved the same message on the temperature sensor project.

Interestingly enough now when I switch to programming mode and cycle power to the controller the lcd screen displays the programmed initialload.c message instead of lines 1 and 3 blacked out as you would expect in programming mode.

Very weird stuff and at this point I lack the intution, experience, and knowledge to know what is going on.

Jon

April 29, 2013
by Ralphxyz

Check your wiring and the placement of the run/program switch.

You might just strip everything and start over, believe me you will do this enough until it takes just 5 minutes to do.

Ralph

April 29, 2013
by Jon_D

Thanks Ralph,

I had some suspicions about the wiring because when I place the run/program switch in program I get the existing loaded message on the screen instead of lines 1 and 3 blacked out like you would expect. Then if i press slightly on the wires in 23 and 24 on the breadboard the whole screen is blacked out sequentially starting with the top line and moving left to right. Seems like maybe a flakey connection as you have suggested is likely. Would you recommend using the same wires or use new wires when rewiring.

Jon

April 29, 2013
by Ralphxyz

Hi Jon, the same wires should work.

Pretty soon you are going to want a bigger breadboard and then you want to leave a breadboard dedicated to a project so you will be setting up another Nerdkits.

It does become very easy, make sure the wires are fully inserted. I have also used bigger gauged wire (lower number) because of having problems like you describe.

Ralph

April 30, 2013
by Jon_D

Just wanted to post a response to let everyone know my kit is operational again. Some lessons learned:

1) To get the kit to go into programming mode I needed to unplug the USB to serial cable and plug it back in.

2) The Error -1 was related to the fact that I installed the DJGPP C compiler. I installed it after reading the excellent how stuff works article on C programming. Bottom line is DJGPP and WinAVR do not work together (I don't know why and would like to know the technical reasons why if someone knows). As soon as I removed the DJGPP C compiler I reinstalled WinAVR and I was up and running.

3) Quick aside, the DJGPP compiler works great on a Windows XP operating system (I didn't try it with other OSs). I was experimenting with writing C programs and DJGPP lets you run them in the command prompt.

Thanks for the feedback guys, can't wait to tackle my next project.

Jon

April 30, 2013
by Noter

1) Install a pushbutton switch from the reset pin to GND and a 10K resistor from the reset pin to VCC. Then you just press the button after moving the program/run switch. It's easier than messing with the usb cable.

2) AVR-GCC is a cross compiler. That means it can compile and link code targeted for a different type of cpu. The nerdkit is an 8 bit processor compared to the PC which is a 32 or 64 bit processor with a much different instruction set. I don't know about DJGPP but probably it is not a cross compiler.

May 01, 2013
by Jon_D

Thanks for the reply and advice, much appreciated!

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that NerdKits believes in the importance of a mixture of meaningful topics, clear instruction, and engaging projects? Learn more...