NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Sensors, Actuators, and Robotics » Hitec Servos

April 06, 2013
by xodin

Hi guys,

I just have a quick question. Do any of you have one of the Hitec servo's, such as that used in the water squirter tutorial? I've watched the video and gone through the code, and I've found the servo's and looked at their data sheet, but I'm still confused about one thing: will the servo move both clockwise and counterclockwise to get to the proper position, or does it have to seek a position by only going clockwise?

Based on the tutorial and some other posts I've looked at on the forums, it seems like (say, from neutral) it should move clockwise if the PWM pulses are between 1.5 and 2 ms, and counterclockwise if the PWN pulses are between 1 and 1.5 ms. However, looking at the datasheet for Hitec servos, they specifically state that all Hitec servos move in the clockwise direction? In the water squirter example, that seems to me that it would always seek clockwise to the desired postion, and therefore your hose would get wrapped up. Does anyone know which is the case?

Thanks,

xodin

April 06, 2013
by xodin

Sorry, servos instead of servo's, PWM instead of PWN, and I meant to post the data sheet I was referring to:

http://www.robotshop.com/PDF/Servomanual.pdf

April 06, 2013
by Ralphxyz

The servos go counterclockwise | no turn | clockwise or full rotation.

Some servos have to be modified to turn full rotations others come from the factory for full rotation but they still go clockwise and counterclockwise.

Ralph

April 06, 2013
by xodin

Awesome, thanks Ralph! Now it's time to pick up a couple.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that electric fields behave differently in different materials? Learn more...