NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » NK003USB

April 04, 2013
by deus402

I just recieved my NK003USB kit from amazon, and have noticed that i did not receive either the crystal oscillator or temperature sensor, making it hard to build the first project in the guide. Is there a parts list for the kit so i can make sure no other components are missing? i also noticed that i received two green and two yellow LED's, but only one red one.

April 04, 2013
by deus402

And i just looked a little harder and found http://www.nerdkits.com/kits/ with a full parts list. Who do i need to contact for replacement parts?

April 05, 2013
by Rick_S

Send an email support@nerdkits.com and they will get the missing parts out to you.

Rick

April 07, 2013
by deus402

No email response either. Bought it off amazon, so if i don't get anything by tomorrow i'm just going to send it back and buy something different.

April 07, 2013
by Ralphxyz

Gee sorry deus402, I was afraid of that.

You could substitute a potentiometer from radio shack for the tempsensor and led's are cheap.

There is an internal oscillator so technically you could make do without the external oscillator. You would end up eventually buying more oscillators and other things, like a bigger breadboard so the missing parts are just a hassle but hey all would be supplemented or replaced sometime anyway, probable in the next six months. If you really get the microprocessor bug.

The main value of the Nerdkit besides the great User Guide was the community here in the Nerdkit Forum. I don't know how long the forum will last but a lot of the real helpful souls are still around.

If you decide to return the Nerdkit then I'd suggest a Arduino UNO as a replacement.

There is a large Arduino community but nothing like what the Nerdkit community has been for helpfulness.

Ralph

April 07, 2013
by Rick_S

That is odd, usually Mike or Humberto will respond quickly. It seems they haven't been in the forums much as of late as well. I hate to see you return it, I think (especially if you are a beginner), you would have gotten a lot out of this group of people. This forum is a rare forum in that for the most part there are no flame wars, and people genuinely try to be helpful to each other. Sure we have our moments but they are by far the exception.

Maybe try the email again at support@nerdkits.com, or try contacting them at support@circuitlab.com. That is another of their ventures and I'm pretty sure they frequent there as well.

Rick

April 07, 2013
by Ralphxyz

I had tried support@nerdekits.com asking about a work around for their USB cable and Windows 8. I never had a reply, that was two months ago.

Ralph

April 07, 2013
by deus402

well, instead of returning it i filed a damaged/missing parts report on amazon. i'm pretty disappointed because i knowingly paid too much for the kit because i understood it to have good support and a good community. I've now had it 5 days and am still not up and going. and to make things worse, i am running windows 8 which is apparently not supported at all from what I've been reading here.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that inductors try to keep their current constant over short periods of time? Learn more...