NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Connectors

February 10, 2013
by countryguy828

Just kind of wondering as I think about future projects and such. What do you guys use to connect say power and sensors to your project inside of the project box. I want my projects to be professional looking and possibly be someone weather tight. For instance, I have a 3 conductor sensor, for that I was considering useing a 1/8 inch stero headphone jack. I have another idea that I was considering useing cat5 cable for. Anyone got any pictures of what they have done?

Thank, Dave

February 11, 2013
by Ralphxyz

The problem with the cat5 cable connectors is that they are so expensive especially if you get a multi port from Radio shack.

I have also been wondering about enclosure port connectors especially to be some what water tight.

Ralph

February 11, 2013
by esoderberg

Example of RJ45 for LCD connection on my SMD Nerdkit.

SMD Nerdkit NK

RJ45 adapter with contrast control:

RJ45 LCD

February 11, 2013
by Ralphxyz

Erick, lets see your enclosure. Then what would you do for water tightness/resistance.

I like using the RJ45 I had 4 tempsensors using one socket which worked out well.

Ralph

March 17, 2013
by esoderberg

I updated my LCD/RJ45 adapter. It only uses one Ethernet cable now. The only drawback is that with only 8 wires in a single RJ45, it didn't allow me to keep the back light on a separate line, so I put a small resistor pad in that can either be populated to default the light on, or left off and use separate lines for the light. I think on my next evolution I'll use another pot (just like the one already used to set the contrast) to set the back-light intensity.

Single cable LCD connection Back side view of LCD with adapter

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can build an analog amplifier with one transistor and a few resistors? Learn more...