NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » Questions about winAVR

January 31, 2013
by Q

I'm new to programming and am a little confused about the winAVR environment. Is it made specifically for microcontrollers or can I run normal C programs on it (such as printing the famed "Hello World" on a console of some kind). Also, I was wondering about Makefiles. I understand the theory behind them, but where would I write one if I wanted to write one myself. I have tried searching the web for answers, but was unsuccessful. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could shed some light on the subject.

January 31, 2013
by pcbolt

Hi Q -

The winAVR compilers are written specifically for MCU's (microcontroller) but you can write C programs for them "almost" the same as normal C programs. Since you are working on a platform that has no operating system, the concept of writing to a console or reading from a file do not have the same meaning. You can write a program that prints "Hello World" to an LCD wired to the MCU or to a serial port on a PC which then prints to the console. You get to use most of the standard C library functions (math, string formatting, printf etc) so it is no too much of a stretch from normal C. The Users Manual is a good place to poke around when you get stuck, and of course the datasheets for the MCU are a must.

Makefiles are just text files with a few quirks to them. Some of the formatting MUST use tabs as beginning of lines and not spaces so some text editors do not do a good job when cutting and pasting (Notepad is not usually a good choice). A really good reference for Make files is HERE.

February 01, 2013
by Q

OK, thanks.

June 13, 2013
by bnjleo

ok, I have my microcontroller all hooked-up and ready to go. but I don't know how to start the programming. I don't know how to use the software. anyone can help me?

June 13, 2013
by sask55

bnjleo

Have you gone through the detailed inductions fund in The NerdKits Guide? If you are having some problem with any part of those instructions you can ask a much more specific question detailing where you are having trouble. I am certain you will get all the help you may require regarding getting started from this forum. Just ask a specific question.

June 25, 2013
by Q

Do you mean how to write a computer program in general, or how to load a program onto the chip, or both?

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that our USB NerdKit comes with everything you need to get started with microcontrollers? Learn more...