NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » Atmel Toolchain??

January 24, 2013
by Ralphxyz

Windows 8 x64

I have this entry in my Path:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\AVR Tools\AVR Toolchain\bin

But I cannot find the AVR Tools\AVR Toolchain\bin folders.

Paul mentioned that Atmel has a new Toolchain.

I have gcc version 4.3.2 (WinAVR 20090313) AVR-GCC on my command line is that the newest?

I can run AVR-GCC from the command line but I am having problems doing a Build in Code:Blocks.

Code::Blocks uses C:WinAVR-20090313.

Ralph

January 24, 2013
by Noter

I don't see why you couldn't run any version of the tools you wanted with C:B and the version you mention from 2009 is pretty old. I don't know the current version of WinAVR but it is surely 2012 something and you can find it on the ATmel web site.

On Ubuntu I have avr-gcc 4.6.2 and toolchain 3.4.1.

January 25, 2013
by Rick_S

Ralph, I installed Atmel Studio 6 and changed the path to point to it's version of the toolchain. I also copied avrdude.exe and avrdude.conf to that folder since it was in the same folder with the WINAVR installation.

My avr-gcc version is:

avr-gcc (AVR_8_bit_GNU_Toolchain_3.4.1_830) 4.6.2

make version:

GNU Make 3.81

and avrdude version:

avrdude version 5.11

The path to the avr-gcc toolchain in the Windows Atmel Studio 6 install on my system is:

C:\Program Files\Atmel\Atmel Studio 6.0\extensions\Atmel\AVRGCC\3.4.1.95\AVRToolchain\bin

I don't know if this helps out or not, but I thought I'd share.

Rick

January 26, 2013
by Ralphxyz

Rick what does your path look like?

I am having problems with Atmel Studio 6 and Code:Blocks.

Are you running Windows 8 or Windows 7 (x64)? I am running Windows 8 x64.

There is probable no advantage to your running Atmel Studio as your programmer would not be recognized right?

Ralph

January 26, 2013
by Rick_S

The path I changed is in my prior post. I'm running Windows 8 32 bit. I haven't taken the time to go through it but I believe I read somewhere that Vr. 6 let's you use custom make files. Some day I'll look into that. For now, I was primarily interested in getting the new tool chain and I knew the install would give me that.

January 26, 2013
by Ralphxyz

Rick, are you using:

C:\Program Files\Atmel\Atmel Studio 6.0\extensions\Atmel\AVRGCC\3.4.1.95\AVRToolchain\bin

For your Command line compiler?

Ralph

January 26, 2013
by Rick_S

No, That's in my path ( environment variable ). If you type path at the command prompt, it will show your paths.

January 27, 2013
by Rick_S

Reading again this morning, I may have misunderstood your question. If you were asking me if that's the compiler I'm using to compile with via the normal NK method, then yes. I just changed my environment variable for the path to point to that version instead of the version in the WINAVR install. I also copied avrdude.exe and arduino.conf from a current arduino compile to get the latest version of it into that folder. I then test compiled a couple of programs to make sure everything was still working and all seemed to work as expected.

Rick

January 27, 2013
by Ralphxyz

I also copied avrdude.exe and arduino.conf from a current arduino compile to get the latest version of it into that folder.

Oh, now that's interesting, makes sence that one could do it just hadn't thought of it.

Ralph

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that inductors try to keep their current constant over short periods of time? Learn more...