NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » Error trying to upload the Initialload file.

December 25, 2012
by Dlogan

My name is Dean Logan (username Dlogan) and I am running a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit laptop. I just got my Nerdkit. After I assembled the kit and got the LCD display to display the correct message. I installed the driver for the USB cable and changed the makefile to reflect COM5 as the communication port. When I went to upload the Initialload file I got the following error:

C:\Users\Documents\Nerdkit Documents\Initialload>make

avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P/com5 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a
Connecting to programmer: .
Found programmer:Id = "Huh? Go": type = '
    Software Version = t. ; Hardware Version = '.s
avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't
a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?
Make: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1

C:\Users\Documents\Nerdkit Documents\Initialload>

Since this is all new to me, I don't have a clue as what the problem is. Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction as to how to correct this error?

Thanks in advance Dean Logan

December 25, 2012
by pcbolt

Hi Dean -

If you go to the "Members" link at the top of the page you can access the Nerdkit "Library" link and follow that to the "FAQ" section. There is a listing for "not a butterfly error" and you can read up on some of the most common problems and solutions. Many times it is the switch on pin 14 that is not set to program mode.

December 26, 2012
by Ralphxyz

Hi Dean, looks like you have a syntax error in your Makefile:

avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P/com5 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

That -P/com5 needs to be separated and the / is not needed so you should have:

avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P com5 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

General note: you can not just copy/paste the corrected line. With copy/paste the blank area to the left of the line becomes spaces but it needs to be a TAB not spaces!!

This will always get you whenever you copy a Makefile the leading spaces have to be TABS .

Ralph

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can connect a pushbutton to a microcontroller with only one wire? Learn more...