NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Tesla 4-battery switch - Free Energy?

September 11, 2012
by Noter

Anyone here built one of these? Is it true that free energy can be harvested? Can transistors be used instead of mechanical switches?

Tesla switch

September 11, 2012
by pcbolt

Noter -

I wouldn't put anything past Tesla...the man was a genius. It's too bad much of his work was confiscated by the government when he died and then "released" when the rest of the world caught up to him. There still are some drawings, books, notes that are believed to be still kept secret. Anyway in case you didn't find it HERE is a good explanation of the circuit and the use of transistors as switches. I don't know if I agree with the Zero Point energy concept, it could be as simple as ionizing the air around the battery. Thanks for the post.

September 12, 2012
by Noter

Thanks for the link. I have no idea if it will really work so I'll just have to give it a try and see. It will be very exciting if it does. I've ordered some parts so I should be getting started on the Tesla switch in a couple of weeks. In the mean time I'll experiment with a optically coupled transistors for switching the battery configuration.

The presentation by Tom Valone gives a good explanation of Zero Point energy. It's a little over an hour long and loaded with good information. If you watch it please let me know what you think.

Tom Valone - Zero Point Energy Extraction from the Quantum Vacuum

September 12, 2012
by sask55

This is very interesting.

The required components and general construction concepts of this idea are now, and have been for some time, readily available to anyone that is interested. Everyone from hobbyists, and back yard inventors to major corporations are free to experiment and develop commercially viable power supply units. Because there does not appear to be any portion or part of these circuits that would difficult to obtain, how could anyone contain or restrict the proliferation of the idea? If this idea has any merit I would expect to see, in very short time, thousands of commercially available powers supply units on the market.

I am very sceptical at this time. If you and I can build a very simple power source as described everyone will be using them in very short order. Even if we subscribe to a conspiracy notions, I can’t imagine how even the most powerful and controlling corporate giants or government agencies could lock down something made up of components that are some easily obtained.

Noter will be interested to here how your experiments go. I don’t have the time right now, but I will be doing some more research and perhaps a few experimental circuits this fall.

Darryl

September 12, 2012
by Ralphxyz

So what does CircuitLab or other simulators do with this circuit?

It is very interesting, once agin something to distract me from what I am supposed to be workng on, as it is, at the moment, I have forgoten what it is that I am supposed to be working on, good thing I am retired.

Ralph

September 12, 2012
by sask55

I have been thinking about the explanation given of on the web page that pcbolt linked in this thread. I can not make any sense of it at all, perhaps someone could explain what appear to me to be very clear problems with the explanation made in the “The Weird stuff” portion of the link.

First of all 100 Hz to 800 Hz is not fast at all. In terms of electrical frequencies it is very slow there are countless examples of circuits that are switched on and off or reversed billions of times faster then that. It is apparent that electron flow can be started stopped and restarted in either direction with very small voltage levels very quickly. Voltage is driving the current flow and determining the direction of the flow. The electros flow from the more negative point in the closed circuit to the more positive point in the circuit.

Even if I accept that it may take a period of time to overcome the momentum of the lead ions in the battery, my question is why in the world would the electrons continue to flow into the battery against the voltage they have supposedly built up for such a very long period of time? Rationally we cannot say they did not have time to slow down or stop, because we have so many examples of circuits where the electron flow is started and stopped millions of time faster then that with much smaller voltages. What is driving the electrons into the battery at this high voltage? I don’t know if this circuit has any merit or if it works at all, but I do know that the explanation given dose not make much sense to me.

Darryl

September 12, 2012
by Noter

I don't know enough to answer your questions but here is another document with additional info. The Tesla switch is detailed starting on page 5 of chapter 5. My approach is to build one and experiment to see if it works. I might not even try if it was from someone other than Tesla but I think he had something figured out.

Practical Guide to Free-Energy Devices

September 12, 2012
by pcbolt

I'm glad the Tom Valone video didn't make the wild claims I've heard from others who've used ZPE as the magic fuel source "Unobtainium" which powers the next perpetual motion machine. Usually it's safe to equate ZPE with quackery, but ZPE is an interesting phenomenon at quantum scales and Valone does not go off the deep end with it.

That said, so what if the circuit above does not produce free energy. If it can improve battery efficiency AT ALL, it is worth looking into. The better battery is today's better mousetrap...the green folk will pound a path to your door ... unless the evil corporations get there first! :-)

September 12, 2012
by Noter

My farm truck is a 97 Ford diesel with 2 batteries. In winter I usually kept it plugged into a Battery Miser which does some kind of maintenance using a voltage spike. So last year I didn't keep it plugged in and the batteries failed sometime in January. Bummer replacing batteries in the winter but then I realized something I had forgotten, those were the original batteries that came with the truck when I bought it in '97. That means they lasted 12 years! So I imagine Tesla's switch will at least improve battery efficiency and if it somehow allows them to self-charge then that's a big win. If not, at least I always manage to have fun and learn from projects even when they don't work as planned.

September 13, 2012
by sask55

My internet connection is working very slowly for some reason; I can’t seam to view the videos in any reasonable time frame. I did read thru parts of the Practical guide to free –Energy Devices. To be honest I find some of the claims and statement more amusing then interesting.

I agree any improvement would likely be a very lucrative innovation. But the claims made are just way over the top.

“The system operated lights, heaters, television sets, small motors and a 30-horsepower electric motor. If the batteries were run down to a low level and then the circuit switch on with a load, the recharging of the batteries took place in under one minute.”

I am having a hard time taking much of what is said seriously after reading claims like that. I half expect to see detailed instructions on how to construct a “Flux Capacitor” and where to mount it in my Delorean on the next page.

It is very apparent that no one has actually managed to achieve anything near free perpetual energy. That achievement would undoubtedly be the most newsworthy and world changing event ever in history. Forget atomic energy, cold fusion, global warming, traveling to the moon or any thing else. There would be no need for three years of testing and refinement as these web links indicates. One or two clear and honest demonstrations of the one minute recharge time (as claimed ) for run down batteries while sending current to a load would be all that is required to prove you have done what is thought to be impossible. After that you would be making and selling the units as fast as possible.

If I and everyone else could produce energy by connecting a few common batteries with a few switches even the “evil corporations” and secret government agencies would not have a hope of stemming the thousands and thousands of people all over the world that would be making these units for themselves and for anyone that could buy one from them.

A 30 horsepower electric motor under full load uses far more power then anyone will use in there home. You or I with no connections could sell more working units producing infinite free power then could be produce by even the largest manufacturing facilities. Realy if someone was selling a power system made up of a few batteries and switches that was proven to be working, wouldn’t you buy one? Or in this case we could just make one if the price was too high, the system is so simple. Why would countries and corporations all over the world all be ignoring this for years and years? Do we really believe that everyone everywhere is that slow? If you had a working model of a system of perpetual free energy would you test it for three years before starting to sell units?

Sorry; but the more I read on this the less interesting it is becoming to me.

Darryl

September 13, 2012
by Noter

I agree, there is obviously a lot of BS on free energy out there. And possibly/probably the Tesla switch is just another hoax but it is easy enough to construct and experiment with and then at least I will think I know if his machine is BS or not. It will be a while before I have any conclusion because I ordered cheap components from china and it takes at least 3 weeks to receive anything. I've decided to use UB1250 batteries because they are small and sealed which I can handle on my bench. Should have the batteries next week as they are from a US supplier.

I think the Tom Valone video is still worth watching even if you are not interested in the Tesla switch. If you are on ubuntu linux there is an app called minitube that will download and save youtube videos to your disk for later viewing. There may be similar alternatives for winders and other platforms too. I have moved to ubuntu and couldn't be happier although it was a steep learning curve in the beginning. My favorite thing is I don't spend $$$ on software anymore - opensource rocks!

September 13, 2012
by sask55

I will certainly watch the video when I have the time.

My internet connection will probably be back to a moderate speed by now, if I am having a slow period they usually don’t last long. I am on a radio frequency wide area network internet provider that is available in this area. The service is frustrating at times but the price is right, for me anyway. They are using an old grain elevator I have, about 125 ft tall, as a tower for one of their repeater stations. I estimate they are using about $4.00 per month of power, I get a couple of email connection at different sights around the area for the use of the building and power. I think my download speed is dictated by the traffic load on their system to great extent. Occasionally I get nothing at all and a lot of dropped connections. I guess there is some truth to the old adage “You get what you pay for”.

Darryl

October 03, 2012
by Noter

Just a quick update. I've got the project assembled and it works. Now I'll try different settings and see if I can get to where the batteries stay charged as claimed in the various documents.

switch

October 03, 2012
by JimFrederickson

WOW!

I have been waiting and hoping for an update... (I am not a big fan on "non-conclusions"!)

Quite the setup, much better than I had anticipated it would be. (Especially since I was thinking there really wouldn't ever be an update!)

I look forward to find out what you determine.

I do think I would have tried it with smaller lead acid batteries though... Quite a bit of power in those!

I know for me a 1.2hr 12volt lead acid batter will power my ATMega 328 running continuously at 20mhz and the LCD with a mild backlight for 110hrs...

October 03, 2012
by pcbolt

Nice...very clean arrangement. What kind of methodology are you going to use to test it out? Charge/discharge time with circuit vs. without? How long you can make the batteries last? Looks like a great experiment to fool around with. Please keep us posted about your findings and if you "go dark" I'll certainly take that as a positive step unless of course "they" made you an offer you couldn't refuse ;-)

P.S. - Great job on the bluetooth write up in the library...I'm sure Ralph will approve as well.

October 04, 2012
by Ralphxyz

Wow Paul that setup looks great!!

What are you using to consume power for testing?

Also I cannot find the bluetooth write up in the library and the High Voltage programmer article has been removed.

Ralph

October 04, 2012
by sask55

That is a good looking set up. You are giving this a legitimate try if there is something to this you should be able to demonstrate it clearly in relatively short order. It will be interesting to hear how thinks test out.

October 04, 2012
by Noter

I chose these batteries because they are the same as a couple of my trailers use for their break away systems. They only last a few years on the trailers so once this project has run its course these batteries will be in line as trailer replacements.

Haven't settled on a methodology for testing but a bench mark without the switch will be in order so any improvement in battery life can be measured. I'm still thinking about the load and may change it before I really settle into measurements. Right now the load is the little fan behind the batteries. It draws about 1.2 amps and while it's handy to verify the circuit is working it may not be enough load to allow a daily test cycle. Right now I'm thinking an inverter with light bulbs may be better.

One thing I notice is that the square wave is not uniform and I wonder if one of my components is weak or damaged. I salvaged the capacitors and bridge from and old piece of equipment so they are suspect. And the bridge rectifier is the weak link in the system anyway because it is rated for only 3 or 4 amps and everything else is at least 10 amps. Here is the wave on the AC side of the rectifier. There is clearly a delay in the negative quadrant.

sq wave

Ralph, I put the bluetooth article in the code library - Command interface via UART using Smartphone and bluetooth. Maybe it should reside somewhere else? I started to write up the high voltage programmer but then I found it isn't working since I switched to linux so I have some work to do before finishing that library article. It may be a while before I get it done but it will be back.

More to come as I make progress. Unless of course I have to "go dark"! ;-)

October 04, 2012
by sask55

You could consider making a resistance load using a few 12V lamps. If you have access to any old scraped machinery or automobiles there would head lights or field work lights that could be arranged in parallel to produce a somewhat selectable amperage load circuit. By simply adding more lamps you could easily draw considerable amperage without having to invest much. The lights would give a very visual and convincing conformation that power was being consumed. Everyone knows what happens to a battery if you have left the lights on for a few hours.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that hobby servos are controlled through a particular kind of PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signal? Learn more...