NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Whoops-- Need some Advice!

August 30, 2012
by NerdyNate

I've got a question for anyone who can answer, I accidently left my battery connected to my USB NerKit circuit while doing the first project in the manual, Did that hurt anything?? I tried it with another battery (after the one before it died) but nothing happened- on the LCD screen or anything.

Thanks for your help

Nathan

P.S This is my first time to post anything on here so I wouldn't mind advice on that too!!!

August 30, 2012
by pcbolt

Nathan -

Generally leaving the battery on (and letting it drain down) will not harm the MCU. You may have damaged the voltage regulator but even that is doubtful. When you changed batteries you may have knocked a wire loose somewhere. If you have a multimeter, you should check voltages around the breadboard to see if everything is OK.

August 31, 2012
by NerdyNate

Thanks for your input,

At first I didn't have an extra battery handy, and the one I tried wasn't putting out 9v, I think that gave me the problem I had. I ended up connecting several 1.5v batteries together to get my 9v-- which worked.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that electric fields behave differently in different materials? Learn more...