NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » Location to find bootloaders for ATmega series

September 23, 2009
by tech20

i'm thinking of going to smd form ATmega MCUs, so i need a bootloader for them. Any place i can get them, even possibly preloaded?

September 24, 2009
by rusirius

You're going to need a programmer (ISP, etc) to be able to load the bootloader... The bootloader is included with the nerdkit code.zip download... But then again, if you have a programmer, then you really don't need a bootloader then do you? ;)

Kinda a catch 22... ;)

I'd be more than happy to load a bootloader on one (or however many) for you, but it would have to be mounted to a "breakout" board so I'd have any easy way to get to it.. Not to mention I'd of course ask you to pay shipping both ways, and frankly you could probably buy and/or make a programmer for the cost of shipping a few chips...

September 24, 2009
by tech20

i would actually like that, since i'm not experienced in using a breakout board programmer, but i must ask, is the nerdkits bootloader compatible with ATmega328( ATmega328 ) since i'm going to be trying a project with them and i do not know how to design/modify a bootloader for these, so if this is possible, i would be happy to take you up on that offer and pay for the chips/materials and shipping.

September 24, 2009
by mrobbins
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi tech20,

We do have copies of our bootloader ready to go for the ATmega328P and also for the ATmega644P. I am still working on cleaning it up / packaging it up, but I would be happy to e-mail it to you in it's present state if you're interested!

Mike

September 24, 2009
by tech20

I would like that, since I'm looking at some boards for it right now, and have a smd board for these(though at my current soldering skill, not sure if i would take that up as a option ), so i would like you to send me that package if you can.

September 24, 2009
by tech20

also, out of curiosity, are you ever planning of selling nerdkits/upgrades_to_the_Nerdkit with these type of ATmegas?

September 25, 2009
by tech20

also, my email is removed on request

September 28, 2009
by tech20

bump, i found a computer with a parallel port, so can you send me instructions for the hack along with the bootloader (I'm also working on a Linux computer)

September 28, 2009
by rusirius

LOL, isn't it amazing how many things we "forget" about??? The other day somebody came into the office with a 3.5" floppy and said they needed a file off of it but "couldn't find" the floppy drive in their workstation... You would have thought they came in with an 8" floppy by the look I gave them.. LOL...

Try finding a motherboard that still has ISA slots! ;)

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that first-order systems have a exponentially decaying response to step inputs? Learn more...