NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » Bluetooth Please HELP!

July 28, 2012
by dqle

Hi guys,

I recently bought the following bluetooth module on ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251047105803?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1971wt_1037

What I want to do is be able to send a command, from my computer, the the bluetooth module connected to the Atmega168 MCU. This would then turn one of my output pins to high or low (so i can control an LED).

I am extremely new to electronics and was hoping to get to guidance on how to proceed. There is little information given from the manufacture of the Bluetooth device (WaveShare).

There are 6 pins on the Bluetooth device and these are my interpretations:

1) VCC - this module requires 3.6V, the rail on my breadboard supplies about 5v, I don't have a voltage regular that brings it down to 3.6V, can I add a 1K resistor, in series with the supply to the module, to bring it down to 3.6V ish? or should I buy something to step down the voltage. 2) GND - ground 3) EN - No idea what this is 4) STATE - No idea either 5) TXD - I connect this to RXD (Pin #2 on the MCU) 6) RXD - I connect this to TXD (Pin #3 on the MCU)

In addition, in terms of interfacing with the module from my computer, I was wondering what type of software I should be using (to send commands from my computer).

Also, in terms of programming, I had several questions:

1)Am I expecting: computer -> bluetooth - TX -> MCU RX (Sorry if this is a dumb question). 2) Does anyone know where I can find a source code from someone that has done this before, or some sort of tutorial

Thank you for taking your time to read these questions. Sorry if I asked anything really dumb, I'm really new to this. This whole topic is really confusing for me. I already bought the module and don't want to give up now.

Thanks, Lee

(link to files given to me from seller: http://www.wvshare.com/downloads/accBoard/Bluetooth-UART-Board.7z)

July 28, 2012
by dqle

Hey guys,

I figured out all the answers to my questions and got the project up and running. Thanks for your time!

In case your interested, I learned how to interface the bluetooth module on the following website:

http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=48188

Regards, Lee

July 29, 2012
by Ralphxyz

Hey Lee, congratulations on getting your bluetooth module working.

AVRFreaks is a great resource, but you have to be careful if you post to the forum they "expect" you to know what you are doing. They are not really newbie tolerant.

I have prompted some classic flames.

Now we could use a write up on integrating bluetooth in the Nerdkit Community Library. That way the next one with a bluetooth integration question will have a ready reference. It doesn't have to be elaborate, just links to this thread and to AVRFreaks with a little insight, which you now have, would be appreciated.

The Library uses the same html engine (Markdown) as this forum, the easiest way to learn how to do a post is to just look at some other page, select "edit this page" once you have signed in.

Ralph

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can use a transistor to interface between different voltage levels of digital logic? Learn more...