NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » Wires in U.K

July 28, 2012
by mikey6879

Hi, I'm trying to get the same wires that are used with the nerd kit as i'm running a little short on them. On the website it says i should order 22AWG wires however it appears wires arn't mesuared in the U.K like this, instead they are measured by strands and thickness E.G 7/0.2 would be 7 strands of 2mm wire. Is anyone able to help and tell me how many strands of what thickness match the wires that come with the nerd kits set?

Thanks very much, mikey6879

P.S I am unable to buy wires directly from nerdkits as the shipping prices to the U.K are $16, which seems a bit much for some wires.

July 28, 2012
by Rick_S

Wire supplied with the nerdkit is tinned solid copper wire. As for the conversion, Wikipedia shows 22awg wire being Ø0.0253" or Ø0.644mm. Don't know if that helps or not, you can purchase 22awg wire from hobbytronics in the U.K. Here is a link on their site. I found them with a quick web search - I don't know them nor have I ever done business with them so they are not a recommendation, just an example of a place selling wire in the U.K.

You can also purchase hookup wires on ebay or breadboard jumpers. I'm sure they are available in the U.K. as well as here in the US.

Rick

July 28, 2012
by sask55

You will be looking for solid one strand wire very close to the size listed by Rick to fit well into the holes in the board. You do not want stranded wire for use in a Nerdkit type board.

Although a multi strand wire may have the same current carrying capacity and resistance / length it would be very difficult to push into the holes to make a connection in your board. Multi strand wire is very common as it is much more flexible and pliable then a single stand wire of the same size. Extension cords, microphone, speaker wires, audio visual connections almost always use only stranded wires.

Single strand wire is simpler and less expensive to produce but is primarily used only in permanent applications where nothing will be moving over time. Door bells, wall mounted thermostats, installed AC power wiring and things like that are often wired with single strand wire. This type of wire has a tendency to fatigue and break if it is bent a number of times in the same spot.

July 28, 2012
by rajabalu21

Please take a look at this. A meter length is only like 10 cents.

Shipping to US is very reasonable about a dollar, but, I am not sure about UK. You should be in a position to compute the shipping costs without actually divulging any personal information.

August 08, 2012
by mikey6879

Thsnk for all your help and suggestion everyone! I have ordered some more and am looking forward to recieving them soon

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that essentially all power supplies' voltages drop when current is drawn from them? Learn more...