NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » Crystal Oscillator question

July 02, 2012
by rmore

Hi all!

In the Nerdkits tutorial, I see that we need to connect the Crystal Oscillator between pins 9 and 10 of the microcontroller.

What is the purpose of doing this? I could not really find any answer to this in the pdf document that came along with my kit.

Also I notice that when I take this oscillator off, my LED connected on the board does not glow...neither does my servo motor run. So it probably means that these pins do not get any voltage supply. How does the crystal oscillator affect this voltage on the pins?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

rmore

July 02, 2012
by pcbolt

rmore -

The fuse settings for the chips that NK ships are set up to use an external oscillator. Without an oscillator your program will not run therefore no code executes to turn your LED's on or to run your motor. You can use an internal oscillator (8 Mhz I think), but you have to change the fuse settings.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can control 120 LEDs with just 17 microcontroller pins? Learn more...