NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » help me

June 24, 2012
by mikeduff76

i am going to connect a maker shield to my nerd kit how would i do that for information about the maker shield go to www.makershed.com/makersheild

June 24, 2012
by Rick_S

Your link is bad, but assuming this:

Maker Shield

is what you are wanting to connect to a Nerdkit, my 1st question would be why? That is an arduino prototyping board. The only difference between it and something like this:

Radio Shack board

other than the few odd components, is that the makershield has headers and pins to plug into an arduino. With a Nerdkit, you can develop your circuit on the solderless breadboard, then transfer that circuit to a proto type board like the one above or like this one:

Radio Shack Board

that is designed to mimic the layout of your solderless board. The lower two images are from Radio Shack and can be purchased from them or similar boards from other retailers.

As for those (few odd components) I mentioned on the makershiled, most of them are wired to the arduino pins to provide reset, and give you a variable resistor (already in your Nerdkit), switches and LED's (already in your Nerdkit).

If I totally missed the boat here, let me know... BigGrin

Rick

June 24, 2012
by Ralphxyz

Now couldn't you just put a Nerdkit mcu in place of the arduino mcu and use the arduino shield?

I got some arduino UNO's and had meant to try this.

I like using the shield concept it's make a nice package.

Of course you would not use a arduino sketch (code) but roll your own C code to match the shield pinout.

Ralph

June 24, 2012
by Rick_S

Except arduino's use 16MHz crystals so the bootloader won't work. I suppose if you programmed it then moved it over just to run the program on the shield, you could do that as long as the crystal speed was set correctly in your program. I don't see the need for an arduino PROTOTYPE shield with a NerdKit. You can prototype on other less expensive boards if you want to make something permenant.

June 25, 2012
by Ralphxyz

Yeah,

#define F_CPU 14745600

Would have to be:

#define F_CPU 16000000

You could use ISP for programing on the UNO or use the regular bootloader on a breadboard and switch the mcu over to the UNO.

You can do it either way I like having another option and I like having the ready made shield.

There are so many shields and all of them are usable I agree the PROTOTYPE is probable one of the least attractive shields it really does not offer any advantage.

But I like the Xbee, Relay and Motor Controller shields.

Plus I like being able to use arduino or C code.

Ralph

June 25, 2012
by Rick_S

If you want to use arduino shields, just get an arduino, write your program as usual and change the makefile from avr109 to arduino and set the baud rate according the speed of the arduino you are using. Then you can progam in the same environment as the nerdkit, and use all the arduino shield goodies.

June 30, 2012
by mikeduff76

well thanks for all your help and the thing is connectebel to the atmega168

July 01, 2012
by Rick_S

Was the photo at the top what you are talking about?

It's hard to tell from your statement whether or not you are irritated at my comments, if you are, I apologize for my wording. It wasn't meant to upset you but I could see how it could. I was just trying to figure out what you were attempting to do.

If your goal was to connect the ATMEGA168 of the Nerdkit to that board, yes you can if you do some creative soldering. I don't know if that is exactly your goal or not. Are you trying to make the NK chip work with arduino shields and want to use the prototype board to kind of build your own Nerdkit based board?

If so, There is a much simpler way to do that.

Rick

July 03, 2012
by mikeduff76

im just using it as another bread bobd but the components connected can be useful so i might just use the coponents

July 03, 2012
by mikeduff76

and, i got the thing for my birth day on june 25 with a elenco two ic am radio kit, a two ic fm radio kit and a learn to solder kit so if yuo can tell me how to connect those thanks for help by the way if you want a little help go to www.elenco.com

July 03, 2012
by Rick_S

I understand more clearly now. I didn't realize from your original post that you were given one of the makershields and wanted to use it.

If you were creative, you could actually turn the makershield into a arduino shield compatable Nerdkit. It would require quite a bit of soldering, but it can be done. You would essentially need to mount all the nerdkit components to the board, solder wires between all the connections to complete the circuit, and then solder jumpers from each of the ATMEGA168's pins to the appropriate locations on the arduino headers.

Alternatively, you could use it as it was intended, and build an addon circuit on it that you can interface with your nerdkit via the headers. If you were to get an arduino at some point, the circuit could be easily passed into that format.

As for the elenco kits, they can be great practice to brush up on soldering skills. As for how to "connect" them, I'm not too sure what you are asking. If you are asking if you can connect them to the NK micro-controller - probably not.

Rick

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can connect a computer keyboard to your microcontroller? Learn more...