NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » Witch two wires

September 09, 2009
by Farmerjoecoledge

I've got my array running a web feed and am trying to bypass the programmer. I get the feed running and can remove the pos and neg and the feed continues. I turn it off and python-listener will start again with just the yellow/green connected. So i cut off a usb cable, and was quite surprised there's only two wires, anyway i tryed to hook it and no go. What does the programmer got to do with a downloaded feed?it's going direct. In other words how does a guy hook up the array via usb minus the programmer?

September 09, 2009
by Nerdful_com

A simple USB cable will not give the TTL conversion or the RS232 emulation thats required for UART to work. You will need a USB TTL/RS232 mini board, the programmer that came with kit or hook up straight to serial port (skip the Prolific USB to RS232 adapter) if your computer has one.

As far as I know, the green wire sends data to PC from AVR and yellow is the PC to AVR data flow when connecting your project to a PC.

Hope this helps.

Nerdful.com

September 10, 2009
by Farmerjoecoledge

Great,thx Nerdful. That looks like it'll be useful for other toys. Got another q but don't have a short way to explain it but if you know of lcdproc and LCDd and why i'm locked out of root.It's going to take awhile for me to figure this one. If you know of this process any imput would be good. LCDd will not start says the address 127.0.0.1 is being used. I just wired the parallel port.I put in my ip and it will not connect either.

September 10, 2009
by Farmerjoecoledge

What lcd do you got? I had a hd44780 from my kit, i guess i got an old one 2x24 with no backlight. I shorted it out connecting it to the parallel port. So i ordered another one from here and it's a 4x20 with backlight but it's not a hd44780 it's a HNQH UC204a. I found it on the web but no data sheet for it, that's why i have the above problems above, or should i say had. This unit is completely foreign to lcdproc and nothing else linux has replaces it. So has anyone tried to hook this lcd direct to the parallel port? And where did you find the drivers?

September 11, 2009
by mrobbins
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi there,

Not sure about lcdproc, but the 20x4 LCD that's included with our kit now is also HD44780-compatible. We use the same code for the 24x2 and the 20x4 -- just a few new helper functions for the extra lines!

Mike

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that NerdKits has been featured in the MIT Undergraduate Research Journal? Learn more...