NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » Acetone to clean PCB??

April 10, 2012
by dgikuljot

Hey Guys, I know 99 percent Alcohol is safe and very affective to clean pcb's and flux. For acetone however I have heard mixed opinions. Since in my opinion acetone is cheaper, is it safe to use it to clean off corrosion and or flux off of old pcb's.

P.S. This acetone is the glue remover type and not the weak nail polish remover.

Thanks, Kuljot Dhami

April 12, 2012
by mongo

Acetone works OK but leaves the aroma behind. Since acetone is a little oily, it can also affect contacts and get into some things and make a mess. Many plastics do not handle it either. The best stuff I can think of for cleaning PC boards is a fluorocarbon that can be an issue with the EPA. (R-11 freon). Unless you have a way of capturing it and re-condensing it, I wouldn't recommend it.

The canned electronics cleaners that contain 1.1.1 trichloroethane (or TCE) works well. It also attacks some plastics but it does nicely on boards.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that reading a double floating point variable with scanf requires "%lf" for "long float"? Learn more...