NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » Basic Electronics Tutorial to Complement Nerdkits?

March 14, 2012
by Medic8388

Hello, Can anyone recommend a good project based basic electronics tutorial to complement the nerdkit? I am a VB programmer/paramedic (long story lol) by trade so im picking up the programming pretty quickly. Trouble is when I say to myself "now all I need to do is use a MOSFET to control the soloniod I want to trigger" im stuck on how to actually do this. If my goal is to build devices that allow my software to interact with the real world these are all things I should know how to do and actually understand why im "connecting a to b and c to d" Thanks in advance :)

March 14, 2012
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Medic8388,

There is no one basics tutorial that is going to teach you everything. My suggestion is always to get your hands dirty and start building some cool things, and just learn along the way.

A great place to get started is this website http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/ If you want a good book about electronics we recommend The Art of Electronics, it is a little bit more advanced, but if you stick through it you will learn a lot.

Humberto

March 14, 2012
by pcbolt

Hi Medic -

I'm sure everyone has a favorite site but HERE is one that is pretty well written.

March 26, 2012
by Blackwatch42nd

Hey Medic8388,

Depending on how basic you want to go, Reilly puts a nice book Make: Electronics that has projects and walks you through basic analog circuits and on to digital circuit. The only thing else I wish it covered would be opamps. Anyway, I thought it was a preety good book and is helping me understand.

John

March 26, 2012
by Ralphxyz

Of course my favorite is "Forrest Mims" his books at Radio Shack are what got me gong in electronics!! Lots of hands on simple electronic circuits!

Ralph

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can generate hundreds of volts AC from your microcontroller with a little bit of circuitry? Learn more...