NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » Difference between ATmega8 and ATmega168?

August 22, 2009
by rajabalu21

I have looked up both the datasheets of ATmega8 (not ATmega88) and ATmega168 and upon comparing the features listed in the first page of the datasheet and the pin out diagrams, I could see following differences:

(1) Amount of Flash memory

(2) Interrupt and Wake-up on Pin Change

The rest looks like pin to pin compatible. I am not sure how to compare 2 different micro controllers functionally without reading through 400 pages. Which pages should I be comparing to get to know the significant differences between the controllers (from a enthusiast point of view)?

August 27, 2009
by syn_splendidus

BUMP

I would also like to know the answer to this question; I would be interested in knowing how to compare differences in these components as well!

August 27, 2009
by Nerdful_com

This might help a bit:

www.nerdkits.com/forum/thread/215/

August 27, 2009
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

The front page of the datasheet is definitely going to give you most of the information you are looking for, or at least provide a good enough overview of the chip that you can tell what the major differences are. Other than the memory, and a few interrupt differences the biggest difference I see in these chips is the max clock speed, which is slower on the smaller ATmega8. Definitely check out the thread that Nerdful pointed out, as there are bootloader issues that you might need to think about too.

Humberto

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that using an alternating excitation voltage can reduce the noise in many sensor measurements? Learn more...