NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » no led_blink.o file

February 19, 2012
by greggoshen

In running 'make' for led_blink I get a 'no such file' error for the led_blink.o file. I have attached a pix of the cmd screen. Thanks

February 19, 2012
by greggoshen

oops, here is the pix. led_blink make

February 20, 2012
by Rick_S

It looks as though your makefile is missing portions. You may have accidentally deleted a line or something. I'd recommend re-downloading the code file and replace your makefile with the one in the fresh download. Then make the necessary changes for your com port.

This is the output when I run make. Notice all the extra lines of output.

C:\Users\Rick\Desktop\Code\led_blink>make
make -C ../libnerdkits
make[1]: Entering directory `C:/Users/Rick/Desktop/Code/libnerdkits'
avr-gcc -g -Os -Wall -mmcu=atmega168  -o delay.o -c delay.c
avr-gcc -g -Os -Wall -mmcu=atmega168  -o lcd.o -c lcd.c
avr-gcc -g -Os -Wall -mmcu=atmega168  -o uart.o -c uart.c
make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Users/Rick/Desktop/Code/libnerdkits'
avr-gcc -g -Os -Wall -mmcu=atmega168  -Wl,-u,vfprintf -lprintf_flt -Wl,-u,vfscanf -lscanf_flt -lm -o led_blink.o led_blink.c ../libnerdkits/delay.o ../libnerdkits/lcd.o ../libnerdkits/uart.o
avr-objcopy -j .text -O ihex led_blink.o led_blink.hex
avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P com1 -U flash:w:led_blink.hex:a

Rick

February 20, 2012
by greggoshen

Thanks, Rick. I have other problems with make now, but i cannot get imgue to upload any image files. Is there another site that I can use for this purpose?

February 20, 2012
by Rick_S

I often use photobucket

February 21, 2012
by greggoshen

cmd screen makefile Thanks, Rick. Here are two pix, the cmd screen showing my error. At present I cannot download a new copy of the makefile. Greg

February 21, 2012
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi greggoshen,

Your best bet is probably to get yourself a new copy of the Makefile. That is still the most likely issue here. I am a little concerned by the fact that make.exe is inside your led_blink directory. make should be installed by WinAVR and placed in a system path somewhere, not inside each of your project folders. Did you move make.exe yourself?

Humberto

February 21, 2012
by greggoshen

Obtained a new Makefile. make will execute from winavr... directory. The only way I can get it to work is to place it in the same folder as the Makefile, .c. I assume the system path should lead to ...nerdkitscodeled_blink. I guess I could show the results of 'path' entry from winavr... however it does not navigate to 'code'. I added a path from c: ...to 'code' to the path file and make still does not work. At any rate there was an error in my Makefile. With the fresh Makefile, I now get a screen full of errors. I'll display the first few: (I corrected one ...lcd.h was missing a bunch of semi colons. compile errors 21 feb

February 21, 2012
by Rick_S

lcd.h is good as is from a clean download. It sounds like winavr is not installed properly. You might try uninstalling and re-installing. Winavr must be installed as administrator in current windows OS's. Just right click the install file and select install as administrator. The other thing I'd do would be to re-download the code.zip file and start fresh with it too.

Rick

February 22, 2012
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

I agree with Rick. It definitely sounds like WinAVR did not get installed correctly. If WinAVR gets installed correctly it will set the system paths so that make, avr-gcc, avr-dude are available from anywhere on the system.

Humberto

February 22, 2012
by greggoshen

I tried to re-install winavr several times - no change. However, "when you can't find a tool it is time to clean the shop" I had some PIC &HI-tech ide/etc. I cleaned them all off. I noticed when i uninstalled winavr not all the files were removed, so I did it. Removed all the Nerdkit stuff, then reloaded all the nerdkit stuff to the root directory. I knew winavr needed to be at the root, but perhaps so does nerdkit. It now works!! Thank you all. All the hours are not wasted time, for I learned alot as I was looking around. Off I go... Greg

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that a motor's no-load current at a given voltage is much less than it's resistance would suggest? Learn more...