NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » harmonizing simple oscillators

February 19, 2012
by raccoons

so ive built this little oscillator (really basic, i'm a complete noob at this stuff) following a tutorial by nicolas collins. heres a picture:

alt image text

the potentiometer adjusts the pitch. so yeah i was wondering how i could harmonize multiple sounds at once on this one breadboard? i figured it was putting another capacitor on pin 3 of the CMOS chip, and then attaching another potentiometer to pins 3 and 4. (of the chip) but the only way the sound is heard is if the amp is plugged into the first of the two lines of pins. so the sound on pins 3 and 4 can only be heard if the amp is plugged into pin 3. but then the sound coming from pins 1 and 2 can't be heard. how would i make it so both can be heard, thus producing harmony? sorry if this doesn't make sense haha, i did a pretty bad job of explaining it. also how could i further go about modifying the sound? any tips? thanks in advance! :)

February 19, 2012
by raccoons

oh and that big yellow wire and the black wire, those connect to the speakers

February 19, 2012
by missle3944

Racoons,

That looks pretty cool. What IC are you using? That might help. :)

I've done some projects with 555 and 556 timers before, those are really fun to mess around with and their are relatively simple just a few resistors, a cap, and a speaker to make them work!

-Dan

February 19, 2012
by raccoons

Dan,

thanks! It is an Inverter Schmitt Trigger 6 Element CMOS 14-Pin Plastic Dip Rail.

-Ted

February 19, 2012
by missle3944

That is pretty cool, I've never messed around with schmitt triggers before. It would be interesting to see what frequency you are generating. I suppose if you put in a larger value cap then the frequency would get slower and thus the tone gets deeper.

-Dan

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can input numbers in binary via a DIP switch, and output them to the LCD? Learn more...