NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » programming lcd trubs

February 17, 2012
by raccoons

sorry, it seems like this question has been asked a million times but i've looked through the forums and i haven't found a solution that works. so i'm just doing the basic project, and i'm following the instructions in the provided pdf-- until i got to step 10c, compile and install your first program. i'm running ubuntu 11.04, and i downloaded the code.zip from the site, and i extracted it into documents. so then i went into the terminal and put cd /home/ted/Documents/Code/initialload and then i put "make" and it says this:

Connecting to programmer: .avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding make: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1

i don't know if i wired something wrong or not; the lcd displays the default text fine, i can't see any black bars though when i flip the switch (i'm guessing thats part of the problem) heres are some pics (sorry they're a bit blurry)

alt image text

alt image text

February 17, 2012
by raccoons

thanks in advance! =)

February 17, 2012
by missle3944

Racoons,

It looks like you switched your programming header wires. Yellow goes to pin 1, then green goes to pin2, and then it looks like you are running off a 9v battery so you dont need the red wire plugged in at all. The black wire goes to the blue or negative rail which I see you have done.

This should solve your problem.

-Dan

February 18, 2012
by pcbolt

Dan -

I think it's Yellow to MCU pin 2 and Green to MCU pin 3. But you're definitely right about not needing the red one.

February 18, 2012
by raccoons

alright, i think that fixed the problem. thank you! :) but now i get this error in the terminal:

Connecting to programmer: . Found programmer: Id = "Huh? Go"; type = ' Software Version = t. ; Hardware Version = '.S avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device? make: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1

how would i go about fixing this?

February 18, 2012
by missle3944

raccoons,

Make sure you have the programming switched in the right position. The switch should be facing the MCU when in programming mode. Make sure to reset the power after you do that.

-Dan

February 19, 2012
by raccoons

alright, that fixed it, thanks :)

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can turn a $20 digital scale into a live weight sensor using our kit with a few extra parts? Learn more...