NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Naming of COM ports in Windows 7

February 11, 2012
by greggoshen

Using: windows 7, 64 bit, Dell, USB nerdkit NK003usb. I realize I am to change part of one line in makefile to indicate which port my machine is using for communicating. My device manager does not show "COM2", etc. What I see is "port#00002 hub#00006". What do I enter? The Make execution ends at this line. Thanks, Greg

February 13, 2012
by JimFrederickson

Hello Greg,

I think that you are looking at is the 'Location' which shows up under the Properties in the 'Device Manager'. (Or maybe you had 'burrowed down in the USB area', I didn't check that...)

In the 'Device Manager' under "Ports (COM & LPT)" is where you want to be looking.

If you are not sure which one it is, just disconnect/reconnect it while you are in the 'Device Manager' and you will see it 'disappear' and then 'reappear'.

With out going to the Properties the 'Com Port ID' you are looking for should show up at the end of the description in parenthesis... (i.e. "(COM2)", "(COM3)", etc...)

If you want to change the Com port then you can go into the 'Properties' of the NK003USB Device then the 'Port Settings Tab' and then the 'Advanced Button'... (NOTE: If you change the Com Port ID then you can only change it to an unused Com Port ID. So if you want specific Com Port ID you may have to change the Com Port ID of some other Com Port on your system first. Also... If you have multiple USB Ports, (Of course the is most likely the case!), the Com Port ID can change if you plug it into a different USB Port. There are other conditions the the Com Port ID can change as well, but for the most part if you just stick with the same USB Port you will probably ALWAYS get the same Com Port ID...)

I hope this helps, Jim...

February 13, 2012
by greggoshen

Jim, I do not have a category "Ports (COM & LPT)" . I'll try to send you some screenshots, in order. [did not do, can't figure out how using 'snipit' I wants to send an e-mail of its own. Here is my sequence: control panel - hardware and sound - device manager under devices and printers - a device manager window which contains 'universal serial bus controllers'. I assuime I am now in la - la land. Nowhere in the sequence do I see a reference to 'Ports ...' thanks, Greg

February 13, 2012
by treymd

Try right clicking on "Computer" in the start menu and select "Properties". Then go to device manager from there. You SHOULD see a "Ports(COM and LPT) in that list. You won't be looking in the USB section in this case because what you are going to use is a virtual serial port that just happens to be plugged into the USB bus, but is not accessed as a USB device.

February 13, 2012
by greggoshen

Jim, Upon right click on 'computer', then moving to 'properties' I find one listing of 'device manager' under a column 'control panel home'. This, of course takes me to the previously mentioned 'device manager' window. Again, I can't get 'snipit' to place an image in this body, so I'll list the options under 'device manager' window:computer - disk drives - display adapters - dvd/cd-rom drives - human interface devices - ide ata/atapi controllers - ieee 1394 bus host controllers - keyboards - mice and other pointing devices - monitors - network adapters - other devices (which has usb-serial controller as a subdirect - processors - sound, video and game ontrol - system devices - Universal serial bus controllers (which lists universal host controllers and root hub). I can't get any help from the Windows folks (Yet).

Thanks, Greg

February 13, 2012
by 6ofhalfdozen

Hiya Greg,

My apologies if this has been mentioned previously or elsewhere, but....

Is it possible the driver didn't install properly and so no com ports are showing up? Do you get an option for "safely remove hardware" for the USB plug when you plug and unplug the USB plug?? Does this mention virtual com port or anything of the sort?? Any wierd device not installed errors or anything?? My vista machine had issues with the driver that made the NK003 plug show up as unknown usb device and not as a com port until I got the driver sorted out. hope that helps...

February 13, 2012
by JimFrederickson

Greg,

If you have no serial or lpt ports that section will not show unless you plug in the NK003USB Device.

Also, if the NK003USB Device is not working properly then it won't show up either... ('not working properly' is usually a driver issue, at least for me...)

Maybe you have a driver problem? Try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver...

The one I installed was from the manufacturers website. I just did a google search to find it. (using "prolific usb to serial drivers".)

The installation problem is named:

PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.5.0.exe

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

If you use the above search, for me it is the second one in the list. (Of if you would rather the site is: http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/download.asp)

Then "USB to I/O Port Controllers"...

The driver install needs to be run after the NK003USB Device is plugged in.

Also, I am pretty sure I needed to 'Run as Administrator' to get the install to work properly. So just put the driver EXE somewhere and then 'right-click on it' then select 'Run as Administrator'...

(just to be safe, you may want to reboot, plug in the NK003USB Device, install the driver, and reboot again with no other actions in between... Just to make sure. I would keep the 'Device Manager' open, just to make sure it shows up there when you install the driver. If you have some 'anti-virus' and the above still doesn't work, then you may want to try to uninstall and then turn off the anti-virus.)

I have had some issues with data transfer, but I have had NO issues with it being recognized.

I hope that helps...

February 14, 2012
by greggoshen

Jim, The last trick helped. I downloaded a new copy of PL2300 and followed the special Windows 7 instructions exactly (Including holding my tongue in my left cheek and whistling the Battle Hymn of the Republic) I now have a COM3 port. Trouble is, when I run MAKE it cannot find the port. Which, essentially, was my first error all along (and still is). This is usually my approach to my hobbies - 2 steps forward - 1 backwards. Thanks so much for your help. I guess the issue is now finding the port. I will look at other threads for help. Greg

February 14, 2012
by Ralphxyz

greggoshen, post your Makefile.

Use the "Indent Selection as Code Block" so that we can read it!

Ralph

February 14, 2012
by greggoshen

Ralph, makefile 14feb I hope this makes it.

Greg

February 14, 2012
by Ralphxyz

Ok that looks good now can you give us a screen shot of your file/folder/directory structure?

Ralph

February 15, 2012
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi greggoshen,

On line 3 the flag that specifies the port for the cable should -P (capital P), it looks like you have a lower case p. The flags are case sensitive, so this would very possibly cause the problem you are seeing.

Humberto

February 15, 2012
by greggoshen

that was it!! thanks - off I go! Greg

February 15, 2012
by greggoshen

I did not realize I had two replys -- Thanks Ralphxyz and hevans. The capital P was the trick. Is there a user guide for the compiler/assembler/linker? Or is this something in the offering as I move on with the kit?

again, many thanks Greg

February 15, 2012
by pcbolt

Great attention to details Humberto...that was a great catch.

February 16, 2012
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

@greggoshen, our guide never really dives deep into the compiler flags and options. Its just something you usually end up exploring as you use microcontrollers more and more. If you are interested though you can check out the avr-libc documentation. Thats the official documentation for the the entire toolchain, and there is an awful lot of great info there.

Humberto

February 16, 2012
by greggoshen

Thanks - I am always greedy for info at the fingertips when troubleshooting.

Greg

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that essentially all power supplies' voltages drop when current is drawn from them? Learn more...