NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » avr-gcc: CreateProcess: No such file or directory (Win 7 Pro 64bit)

January 21, 2012
by Ragnor

Hello, well I muddled my way through to the first upload and now I'm stuck.

I was unable to find a resolution in the forums, so I will ask.

Why ain't it working?

Driver is installed, Windows Identifies prolific USB-to-Serial COM5

I am in Initiaload <dir>

Here's the result

// C:UsersNunia D. BiznazDownloadsNerdkitCodeinitialload>make make -C ../libnerdkits make[1]: Entering directory `C:/Users/Nunia D.

Biznaz/Downloads/Nerdkit/Code/libnerdkits' avr-gcc -g -Os -Wall -mmcu=atmega168 -o delay.o -c delay.c avr-gcc: CreateProcess: No such file or directory make[1]: *** [delay.o] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Users/Nunia D.

Biznaz/Downloads/Nerdkit/Code/libnerdkits' make: *** [initialload.hex] Error 2

January 21, 2012
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Rangor,

My first guess is that you do not have the libnerdkits folder in the right place. Make sure you unzip the entire Code folder into somewhere on your hard drive, and then navigate to the initialload folder. Unziping the entire code folder will make sure you have the correct folder structure. Could that be the issue?

Humberto

January 21, 2012
by Ralphxyz

re: Leaving directory `C:/Users/Nunia D.

C:UsersNunia D. Biznaz/Downloads/Nerdkit/Code/initialload>make 
make -C ../libnerdkits make[1]: Entering directory `C:/Users/Nunia D.

Biznaz/Downloads/Nerdkit/Code/libnerdkits' 
avr-gcc -g -Os -Wall -mmcu=atmega168 -o delay.o -c delay.c avr-gcc: 
CreateProcess: No such file or directory make[1]: 
*** [delay.o] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Users/Nunia D.

Biznaz/Downloads/Nerdkit/Code/libnerdkits' make: *** [initialload.hex] Error 2

When you post your makefile just highlight it and click the "Indent Selection as Code Block" button!

You should be starting from the initialload folder not from C:/Users/Nunia D.

Ralph

January 21, 2012
by Ragnor

Thanks for the speedy replies, I did unpack all files to a folder I created called nerdkit. Win-avr installed to it's default directory. I did allow windows to unpack it rather than using winrar because I was being lazy. I wonder if that possibly caused an issue.

Also the zip file and the unpacked file named code are in the same folder, wonder if that matters?

I will look into this "Indent Selection as Code Block" button! Pasting from notepad definitely murdered the syntax. Sorry bout that.

I am not sure how to start from the initial load folder, rather than activating the entire path of folders. I am using the windows Psuedo-console which is not a true console like win2k (as you may well know).

I have to go chase a $1, I'll be back around to tinker on this in a few hours.

I see the direction your pointing and I'll try a little cleaner organization of files. OH! I see the button =)

January 21, 2012
by Rick_S

The problem may be that you have a period (decimal point) in your username in windows. This is probably freaking out make. Try unzipping the code folder in the root directory of your hard drive and see if things work better for you.

Rick

January 21, 2012
by Ragnor

OK so I got some educated assistance we installed the code folder to the root directory.

Updated the makefile to COM2.

we changed directory to C:\Code\Initialload

Ran the command make

it appears that the object files are not being created in the libnerdkit

makefile

we did a whole lot of searching and came up bust

January 21, 2012
by Ragnor

I found the issue and was able to compile initialload. Comodo Defence was preventing the compile even with the program set to safe. Also it was not logging the block.... which sucks.

However, now the lcd no longer display's and readable characters. LCD read original text until compile if switch was in down position. Now it's just two dark bars and two light all the way across. reguardless of switch position.

I'll check everything I can, please let me know if there is a common fix.

Image2

January 22, 2012
by Ragnor

Pic of the wiring for GP

imgfile

January 22, 2012
by Ragnor

Well, After wracking my brain for many hours and nearly tossing it all in the trash I decided to remove the throw switch from the board. I then connected the battery and wallah! The lcd promptly told me to go F' myself! (my brothers contribution to the text code) Not only did I get a good laugh but it works! I am no programmer, just a mechanic so I was getting pretty frustrated.

So, anyone reading this, if you are stuck in programming mode, try removing the switch, it just might be the ticket.

January 22, 2012
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Rangor,

Glad you got it working. That is quite strange that removing the switch made it work. If you have a multimeter around check the continuity between the pins with the switch at different positions. I would be curious to know if the switch actually broke.

Humberto

January 23, 2012
by Ragnor

I read yer post and Ive tested the switch with an ohm meter and it tests good. I cannot measure the resistance with the meter I have on hand. Curiously the circuit is now functioning with a switch in place and can be changed from function mode to program mode and back successfully. I had to remove it after uploading tempsensor as well to get it to work. I moved the switch from slot c to slot d,I havn't tested it back in c yet, because it aint broke, so I aint fixing it. I do wonder if the battery was just low enough that the switch was somehow impeding the mcu (resistance?). Just tested the battery it is testing 8.4v and that's after sitting unplugged for 24 hours. Does this thing just kill batteries?

Anyhow it's working and I am glad to have the product. I am very excited to be able to start to learn the skills I need to begin automating things. It's way too cool!

January 24, 2012
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Rangor,

The MCU by itself should not drain batteries too rapidly, but depending on what you have connected to it, it might. The LCD takes a bit of current, so that will reduce battery life. The real battery hogs are the backlight on the LCD if you are using that, or lighting LEDs without current limiting resistors.

Humberto

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that the sparks present in motors can be dangerous for your microcontroller and other electronics? Learn more...