NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Arch Linux - butterfly_recv(): Programmer is not responding

January 17, 2012
by Scythium

Terminal output

alt image text

MCU Photo

alt image text

January 17, 2012
by Scythium

I first ran the make command with a battery but, I didn't have enough battery life and avrdude didn't finish. So I switched to USB power, ran it again and got this error. This morning I ran it again with the current setup and it worked but the LCD output was all on line one. If I make changes eventually I run into the same error and the program won't write to the mcu.

January 17, 2012
by missle3944

Hi Scythium,

Make sure you reset the MCU before starting to upload a new program to the MCU. Usually the writing error can come from a miss wiring, have you gotten the Congratulations message yet?

Is your initialload.c in the same folder as the makefile?

Hope this helps! Welcome to the forums

-Dan

January 17, 2012
by Scythium

Hi Dan,

-Yes the MCU was reset, before attempting to upload the second time. (if unplugging counts) -Yes The Congratulations message worked. -Yes the initialload.c is in the same folder as the Makefile.

Not sure about the wiring but I've checked it over a few times.

Good tips though.

January 17, 2012
by Scythium

I booted into Windows 7, installed WinAVR, and this driver, did the COM5 edit, ran make and everything works perfectly.

So I'm left wondering why doesn't it work in ARCH Linux.

May 05, 2012
by billtaichi

Hey Scythium, let me know if you figure out why this doesn't work with ARCH I have a raspberry pi on the way I was going to use with my electronics stuff and I was planning on putting ARCH on it.

May 05, 2012
by Scythium

Hey billtaichi

Ya my first error was an LCD Error. Everything I wrote to the screen was on one line. (Then eventually it stopped working)

There is a solution here http://www.nerdkits.com/forum/thread/2053/

Quote:

"Just fixed it. I ended up:

1. removing all .hex and .o files in the project's and libnerdkit's folders

2. changing "-Os" to "-O0" on the first line of the project's and libnerdkits' makefile

3. removed "-j .text" in the project's makefile."

I haven't tried it yet but it seems to be a common problem with the linux avr-dude. I'm also expecting a Raspberry Pi, and I can't wait to install arch on it!

Take Care

May 05, 2012
by Ralphxyz

and for those of us that do not know what a Raspberry Pi is.

Ralph

May 05, 2012
by Rick_S

I tried to get in on the 1st day for a pi. No luck... Element 14 is saying a ship date in June for me.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that interrupts can cause problems if you're not careful about timing and memory access? Learn more...