NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Using Putty

November 14, 2011
by Heed

Im now working on the servo squitter project i know the connections and i have the source code...when i downloaded the code i did not see a Makefile so i do not know how to run the actual program..???

Im using windows Vista so i downloaded Putty but i dont know how 2 use it.

November 14, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Heed, just use the Makefile from the initialload project.

Just change initialload to servosquirter.

There are lots of discussions about making a Makefile here on the forum.

Ralph

November 14, 2011
by treymd

Putty in most cases is used to communicate over a serial connection to the MCU. This is AFTER you have compiled and uploaded your application to the MCU via the appropriate tools.

I just popped over to the servo tutorial and noticed the code is provided as a C file. This means you will have to create a makefile for it. simply copying a basic makefile from another project and changing all of the relevant parts to work with the new code should be sufficient. Take a crack at it, and post your Makefile here if it doesn't work.

You should probably crete a new folder for the project so that relevant files don't get mixed up with other files causing confusion. Place your .c file and the makefile in the same directory and proceed as usual.

November 15, 2011
by Heed

this is the makefile i made is it correct? and i appreciate the help with this

GCCFLAGS=-g -Os -Wall -mmcu=atmega168 LINKFLAGS=-Wl,-u,vfprintf -lprintf_flt -Wl,-u,vfscanf -lscanf_flt -lm AVRDUDEFLAGS=-c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P com3 LINKOBJECTS=../libnerdkits/delay.o ../libnerdkits/lcd.o ../libnerdkits/uart.o

all: servosquirter-upload

servosquirter.hex: servosquirter.c make -C ../libnerdkits avr-gcc ${GCCFLAGS} ${LINKFLAGS} -o servosquirter.o servosquirter.c ${LINKOBJECTS} avr-objcopy -j .text -O ihex servosquirter.o servosquirter.hex

servosquirter.ass: servosquirter.hex avr-objdump -S -d servosquirter.o > servosquirter.ass

servosquirter-upload: servosquirter.hex avrdude ${AVRDUDEFLAGS} -U flash:w:servosquirter.hex:a

November 15, 2011
by Heed

The error in getting is

make *** no rule to make targer 'servosquirter.c', needed by 'servosquirter.hex',.stop.

November 15, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

You would get this error if a file called servosquirter.c is not in the same folder as your makefile. Could that be the issue?

Humberto

November 15, 2011
by Heed

That was the problem

thank you

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that hobby servos are controlled through a particular kind of PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signal? Learn more...